4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Door Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 02:58 PM
John Valdes
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Squeak

My 2009 Ram doors squeak like the truck was much older. My last Ford never squeaked. White grease? WD-40? I have used both twice already and they need lube again.
Seems the noise is coming from the rollers?

Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 PM
yamahammer
Default 2011 ram door

I have a 2011 Ram, apparently this has been an issue for a while. My truck was only a few months old when I noticed rust forming on the door rollers. I took it to the Dodge dealer to have it looked at, as if it is starting to rust now, I'm know it will be much worse soon. Their response was that it is an issue they are aware of, but they can't do anything to repair it. It would seem that it has been a problem for years. Their suggestion, put grease on it.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:05 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John Valdes
My 2009 Ram doors squeak like the truck was much older. My last Ford never squeaked. White grease? WD-40? I have used both twice already and they need lube again.
Seems the noise is coming from the rollers?
John,

Is the noise you are experiencing a pop or groan? Have you sprayed all of the lower door hinges between the roller and the roller pins with white lithium grease?

Please note, to be careful not to spray the grease on the outside of the roller or the roller cam. If grease is allowed to get on the outside of the roller or roller cam it must be cleaned off as it may also cause a noise.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:56 PM
John Valdes
Veteran

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
John,

Is the noise you are experiencing a pop or groan? Have you sprayed all of the lower door hinges between the roller and the roller pins with white lithium grease?

Please note, to be careful not to spray the grease on the outside of the roller or the roller cam. If grease is allowed to get on the outside of the roller or roller cam it must be cleaned off as it may also cause a noise.

I hope this helps.
I did not know white lithium grease came in a spray form. I used WD-40.
They seem okay now. But to have this issue on a relatively newer vehicle has me concerned about overall quality.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John Valdes
I did not know white lithium grease came in a spray form. I used WD-40.
They seem okay now. But to have this issue on a relatively newer vehicle has me concerned about overall quality.
John,

Glad the noise is OK now, but I'm sorry to hear about your concerns. Mopar sells a Spray White Lube and it is recommended as per the Owner's Manual, page 453, to assure quiet, easy operation and to protect against rust and wear that locks and all body pivot points, including items such as seat tracks, door hinges pivot points and rollers, liftgate, tailgate, sliding doors and hood hinges, should be lubricated periodically.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 AM
BULLRAM
Veteran

I have always used Sil-glyde, in the old days it came in a stick, and the stuff lasts forever, it stays put even when it rains, doesnt spray all over the place, just use your fingers to get it in there, it has worked for years on MANY vehicles.
http://www.amazon.com/Sil-Glyde-Sili.../dp/B0054DWS1W
NAPA part number: 765-1346

Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 PM
706jim
Veteran

Wd 40 did the trick on my doors while white grease did not.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 706jim
Wd 40 did the trick on my doors while white grease did not.
The white spray dry lube takes care of it for a long time. Problem with WD40 is that it is not really intended as a long term lubricant and it attracts dirt.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used marvel mystery oil, worked great!

Old 01-05-2013, 10:21 PM
ramluv
Default Door lube

I use a shot of Breakfree CLP. I figured it worked on my guns under extreme conditions it would work on my truck.

Quick Reply: Door Squeak