4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight Aim

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012 | 10:10 AM
Tusakha
|
Amateur
Default Headlight Aim

With the front of my 2010 leveled I need to aim my headlights.

Can someone explain to me how to aim them (where the adjustments are, what tools needed, etc), and what would be the proper method to obtain the correct aim?

Old 11-07-2012 | 10:22 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Up and down aiming of headlights is accomplished via a Torx screw accessible through the top of the fender under the hood. See the following post for more info and a picture.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2159765-post9.html

Rob

Old 11-07-2012 | 10:38 AM
2010 TRX4
Professional

I had scribbled this down when I did it a LONG time ago I used an extension with a 9/32 socket?, I found this in my vehicle packet so it must be accurate. I used my carport to adjust it higher, cannot remember which way to turn you will see however.

Old 11-07-2012 | 11:14 AM
Tusakha
|
Amateur

Thanks for the location, but now what do I adjust them to so they are properly set? I can do the wall height measurment or whatever other methood would be best.

Old 11-07-2012 | 01:22 PM
gertie240
Captain

drive up to the wall, about two feet away, use masking tape to connect the two headlight patterns on the wall, find the center of each light pattern and tape a mark perpendicular to the first horizontal mark for each headlight. Now bact the vehicle up 25 feet and aim the lights below the horizontal and to the passenger side of the verticals. Works on level surfaces only.

Old 11-07-2012 | 05:52 PM
2010 TRX4
Professional

Yea, I used a 9/32 socket and I used a long 1/4 extension I have (it has a screwdriver handle). I just parked mine in my carport & raised the angle on both lights so they were even. Just turn the extension but be carefull you have a locking socket so you do not lose it.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 11-08-2012 | 04:32 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

From the manual minus the pictures

FRONT LAMP AIMING

VEHICLE PREPARATION FOR LAMP ALIGNMENT

1. Check for and correct any burnt out bulbs.
2. Repair or replace any ineffective, worn or damaged body or suspension components that could hinder proper lamp alignment.
3. Verify proper tire inflation pressures.
4. Remove any accumulations of mud, snow or ice from the vehicle underbody and clean the front lamp lenses.
5. Verify that there is no load in the vehicle (cargo or passengers), except for the driver.
6. The fuel tank should be FULL. Add 2.94 kilograms (6.5 pounds) of weight over the fuel tank for each estimated gallon of missing fuel.
7. Verify correct vehicle suspension height.

LAMP ALIGNMENT SCREEN PREPARATION

The procedure that follows will prepare a suitable front lamp alignment screen.

1. Tape a line on a level floor 7.62 meters (25 feet) away from and parallel to the flat wall that will be used as the lamp alignment screen. The level floor will be used as the horizontal zero reference.
2. An adjacent wall or floor member that is perpendicular to the alignment screen can be used as the vertical zero reference. If there is no adjacent wall or floor member that is perpendicular to the screen, tape a second line on the floor perpendicular to both the alignment screen and the first line, and outboard of either side of where the vehicle will be positioned. This will be used as the vertical zero reference.
3. Position the vehicle so that the side of the vehicle is parallel to the vertical zero reference, and so that the front of the lamp lenses are in the vertical plane of the parallel line taped on the floor 7.62 meters (25 feet) away from the screen.
4. Rock the vehicle side-to-side three times to allow the suspension to stabilize.
5. Jounce the front suspension three times by pushing downward on the front bumper and releasing.
6. Measure the distance between the optical center of one of the lamps being aimed (head or fog) and the floor (horizontal zero reference). Transfer this measurement to the alignment screen with a piece of tape placed horizontally to the floor. This line will be used as the lamp horizontal reference.
7. Measure the distance between the vertical zero reference and the optical center of the nearest lamp being aimed (head or fog). Transfer this measurement to the alignment screen with a piece of tape placed vertically across the appropriate (head or fog) lamp horizontal reference. This is the centerline reference for the first lamp.
8. Measure the distance on center between the first and the second lamp being aimed. Transfer this measurement to the alignment screen with a second piece of tape placed vertically across the appropriate (head or fog) lamp horizontal reference. This is the centerline reference for the second lamp.

HEADLAMP ALIGNMENT

NOTE: Due to the linear nature of the headlamp cutoff, a properly aimed low beam headlamp will project the top edge of the high intensity pattern 2.5 centimeters (1 inch) below the headlamp horizontal reference line on the alignment screen. No horizontal (right/left) adjustment is required for this headlamp beam pattern. The high beam pattern will be correct when the low beams are properly aimed.

1. Turn the headlamps ON and select the LOW beams.
2. Rotate the headlamp vertical adjustment screw (2) on the back of each front lamp unit (1) to adjust the beam height as required.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 11-08-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight Aim