4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2012 Ram 1500 Shift issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 AM
mfrady
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012 Ram 1500 Shift issues?

I'm new to this forum so please be kind if I sound a little ignorant on this topic. It's been 7 years since I have owned a truck or new vehicle so I'm still learning about all of the new features on my truck. I just bought a 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Lone Star edition with the 5.7 L. My issue is that when I'm driving, there seems to be quite a bit of humming noise coming from the transmission. It's not bad noises like it's broken or anything it's just a lot of high and low humming. It sounds normal while I'm driving but then at the top end of a gear, it sounds like it's either bogging or struggling. It's loudest when I'm maintaining speed at a certain speed limit and either slightly increase or decelerate, then the humming gets much louder. If I let off the gas all the way or if I accelerate it sounds normal again. I know that's vague but it's very difficult to explain. I believe this to be the cylinders turning off and on which would explain the deep hum and then it's quiet, then it's loud again. I just don't know if this is normal for these trucks to make all of these different tones while driving. It's almost funny sometimes it sounds like a musical instrument.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Mike.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...s-section.html

My advice is to "test drive" a few other 2012 and 2013 Rams on the dealer lots. If you hear the same noise, then you know its normal.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:29 AM
mfrady

That's a great idea, thank you. I was wondering how I was going to get around the dealership charging me to look at it only to find there's nothing wrong. Thanks again.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:14 PM
phoboss

Dealer should not charge you anything if still under warranty.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:06 PM
saberworks
Rookie

I can definitely notice a difference in tone and a very slight vibration when it's in MDS/eco mode. Watch your dash and see if the "eco" light comes on when you notice the noise. It's probably just the stupid MDS/eco crap. That said, I can't notice any sound at all if I have the heater fan on or the stereo on at even a low volume, so if you're getting something louder than that, it may be something different.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 AM
mfrady

Thanks for the advice guys. I spoke to a friend yesterday who just purchased a similar truck to to mine and he said his does the exact same thing. He told me to hit the Tow/Haul button and see if it still does it because this not only changes the gear ratio I guess but it also disables MDS. I did that and the sound is gone, indicating that it's definitely the MDS. What I failed to mention is that I have a 32" Thrush glasspack which of course makes the MDS noise even more noticeable. I know that the resonators are supposed to reduce droning in the cab but I can't help but think that the sound would blow right out the back if it wasn't being trapped by the resonators. If I decide to give it a try I'll update this thread.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Quick Reply: 2012 Ram 1500 Shift issues?