4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

So frustrated with my 2011 1500 ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM
crazydude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So frustrated with my 2011 1500 ram

OK so I start getting this rear end whining noise from my 2011 1500 ram so i take it in to the dealer. First trip they say cant hear a thing so when I go pick it up I say let me take a tech out for a drive and get him to hear it when im driving, so out we go and sure enough i get it to do it when im kinda floating it around 60-100km to keep it at speed. So the tech drives back to the dealer ship and keeps it till the next day cause now he could get it to do it. So next day they called me and said they put the remote ears on and said its coming from the rear end which is no problem they will give it back and order a rear end rebuild kit for it. Thought perfect this is going to get fixed. So a week goes buy they finally get the parts in so I take it in. Get the truck back wife went to pick it up. now I drive a service van for work so needless to say i don't drive my truck to often. So 2 weeks later gotta head down to the coast for a funeral well the noise is still there and now it vibrates in the seat between 100-110km. So when we get back, in it goes again they say the vibration is from my after market tires which are only 275/65/20 and i say well it didn't do this before they rebuilt the rear end but they seem to be adimit it is the tires and they now diagnose this noise to the tranny cooler lines and I say really all my years i have never heard of tranny lines making that kind of noise. So they say there is no fix for this and they are going to have to talk to chrysler engineering department but they did say the new 2013 come insulated cause of this problem yet they have no fix for earlier years???? So i take my truck to the tire dealer that sold me my tires only 3000km ago and they run them on the balancer and they check out perfect. So after all this they mess up a good rear end and cant fix the loud whining sound coming from tranny cooler lines rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr this truck only has 20,000km on it and it has been in the shop over 20 times since I bought it new for various problems and now I have to take them the proof its there rear end job not the tires so they can fix it right. I like the truck but this is getting ridiculous if they dont get the rear end fixed properly and this noise fixed im gonna by a ford cause right now this truck is making one look good.
So has any one else experienced this tranny cooler line noise???

Last edited by crazydude; 03-01-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:29 AM
blakels
Amateur

There are several threads on here about it. My 2012 does it every day. I'm going to wait until Chrysler comes up with an official fix for it rather than disconnecting the retaining bracket. Doesn't really bother me that much.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:16 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crazydude
OK so I start getting this rear end whining noise from my 2011 1500 ram so i take it in to the dealer. First trip they say cant hear a thing so when I go pick it up I say let me take a tech out for a drive and get him to hear it when im driving, so out we go and sure enough i get it to do it when im kinda floating it around 60-100km to keep it at speed. So the tech drives back to the dealer ship and keeps it till the next day cause now he could get it to do it. So next day they called me and said they put the remote ears on and said its coming from the rear end which is no problem they will give it back and order a rear end rebuild kit for it. Thought perfect this is going to get fixed. So a week goes buy they finally get the parts in so I take it in. Get the truck back wife went to pick it up. now I drive a service van for work so needless to say i don't drive my truck to often. So 2 weeks later gotta head down to the coast for a funeral well the noise is still there and now it vibrates in the seat between 100-110km. So when we get back, in it goes again they say the vibration is from my after market tires which are only 275/65/20 and i say well it didn't do this before they rebuilt the rear end but they seem to be adimit it is the tires and they now diagnose this noise to the tranny cooler lines and I say really all my years i have never heard of tranny lines making that kind of noise. So they say there is no fix for this and they are going to have to talk to chrysler engineering department but they did say the new 2013 come insulated cause of this problem yet they have no fix for earlier years???? So i take my truck to the tire dealer that sold me my tires only 3000km ago and they run them on the balancer and they check out perfect. So after all this they mess up a good rear end and cant fix the loud whining sound coming from tranny cooler lines rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr this truck only has 20,000km on it and it has been in the shop over 20 times since I bought it new for various problems and now I have to take them the proof its there rear end job not the tires so they can fix it right. I like the truck but this is getting ridiculous if they dont get the rear end fixed properly and this noise fixed im gonna by a ford cause right now this truck is making one look good.
Crazydude,

I'm sorry to hear about your noise concerns. If you'd like assistance, you can PM me your VIN# and the name of your servicing dealer and I'd be happy to look into this for you.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 PM
huntergreen
Professional

i hope op takes advantage of dodgecacares offer.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 AM
crazydude

Ok so went to the dealer today and voiced my opinion on my problems and the so called tire issue which I showed proof that they are in balance, so they said make another appointment for my truck. I did get some info on the tranny cooler line noise and it turns out that they put a thermostat unit in the tranny which does not allow the fluid to flow to the cooler till the tranny warms up to a operating temp. The thermostat is like what is in your cooling system but for the transmission and buy the sounds of it rattles which gives off a harmonic sound hence what im hearing. So hopefully Chrysler can come up with a fix for this cause its only getting louder. As for the vibrations after the not needed rear end rebuild they are going to try and figure it out on thursday here. Hope they figure all this out as it is getting tiring for the wife having to take it back and forth to the dealer.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say anything to the effect of your problem, but I can say this: ALL vehicle manufacturers have problems. It doesn't matter if it is Ford, Chevy, GM, Toyota, Dodge, etc. I know the new Fords have had alot of trouble with their automatic transmissions, so just be wary of that. And by alot I mean ALOT. And the new Fords also have a problem with literally blowing spark plugs out of the holes after they have been changed, and that's not a cheap repair either (You can't just HeliCoil them; while you CAN, it won't last). So take this advice with a grain of salt: Just keep your truck and work through the problems. If the Dodge dealer is unable to fix them, I suggest you call some local reputable independent mechanical repair shops, and ask their opinion of the problem WITHOUT stating what Dodge says it is. I know alot of people haven't been able to get their vehicle fixed properly at a dealer even though they are under warranty and so they get it fixed at a independent shop. Usually then they take the bill to the dealer and say, "Hey, they fixed this" and expect them to pay for it (Most of the time they will, after a little hassling). Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:04 AM
crazydude

Well got my truck back from the dealer today and they ended up replacing the drive shaft which was the issue. Now all Im waiting on is this tranny cooler problem which they promised Im not the only one and they are waiting for Chrysler to get there stuff together and get a fix for it hopefully soon. So went for a drive when I got home and all is good except for as i said the tranny issue. As for the thinking of buying a FORD part of my rant, I would never buy one the fact that they do seem to have more issues than what I would like to deal with. So for now I might go to my local parts store and pick up some sort of insulation tape and wrap the cooler lines with it till they come up with a fix as the the new 2013 are now insulated to quite this problem.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:12 AM
Cmerritt84
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well got my truck back from the dealer today and they ended up replacing the drive shaft which was the issue. Now all Im waiting on is this tranny cooler problem which they promised Im not the only one and they are waiting for Chrysler to get there stuff together and get a fix for it hopefully soon. So went for a drive when I got home and all is good except for as i said the tranny issue. As for the thinking of buying a FORD part of my rant, I would never buy one the fact that they do seem to have more issues than what I would like to deal with. So for now I might go to my local parts store and pick up some sort of insulation tape and wrap the cooler lines with it till they come up with a fix as the the new 2013 are now insulated to quite this problem.

Sounds like you need a dealer that shives a git about customers

Old 03-10-2013, 12:53 AM
crazydude

Originally Posted by LU229
Hey Crazydude....
Are you positive about the transmission lines being the problem...???
I`m wondering if you are hearing a torque converter rattling issue.
Ther is tons of info on the forums about the Ram truck TC rattles.
Type in your search for "Starcase TC"

If you cant find it, let me know, i`ll locate it for you and post it in here.
Thers not a dodge forum that dosent know about the bad TC in these trucks.
What the problem is, is that the spline shaft and hub rattle inside the torque converters.
Some have ALOT of clearence issues, some dont. Thats why some rattle, some dont.
Chrysler is aware of it, BUT have yet fixed the on-going problem. (its the vendor they use that is the problem)
Mine has rattled since new, now @ 60,000 miles, still going, if it blows before the 5/100,000 miles, they replace it for free.
I`d rather the dealer NEVER touch my truck until it needs the transmission replaced. THEN i`ll fix it, trade it in the same day i pick it up.
(trade it in mainly because i DO NOT trust their work, i`ve NEVER seen a dealer do the job by the book, have had nightmare after nightmare w/dealerships)

Yeah, good luck with those sh!ty dealerships, most do suck.
Usually most dealer monkeys make matters worse by touching it due to their incompetence.
Its not like you haven`t already seen this issue first hand, with incompetence at the dealer level.

Hats off to ya my friend, i hope it all gets worked out for you
Ya had the torque converter already done in my truck. The whining sound is coming from the tranny cooler lines as that is why all the 2013 models have there's insulated for this. The 2013 still make the noise but you cant hear it cause there insulated but the better fix would be to fix the thermostat piece that is causing the problem in the first place. The lead mechanic at the dealer i go to is fairly knowledgeable I knows these trucks, but some how I think the let one of the minions fix it after he has diagnosed it. Im gonna get some insulating tape and try and wrap them my self to see if it goes away and if it does I will post it up.
Still love my truck but when it goes in this much for warranty you think other wise some times.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 AM
GligorovDimce
Amateur

i started to have the same whining noise on my 2012 and thats only in 2th and 4th gear.
its not allways there but usually when truck is on steet and on 35mph and shifts in 4th gear,if you even touch the pedal a little,its gone or downshift it.
if its get louder i will bring it back to dealer.

Quick Reply: So frustrated with my 2011 1500 ram