4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problem Guides
Print Wikipost

Help!!! ran out of gas, now truck wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:34 PM
TaylorPalmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help!!! ran out of gas, now truck wont start

So ive got an 09 ram 1500 with the 5.7. I took it to les schwab to get the brakes worked on, and while the guys were driving testing the new brakes, they ran it out of gas. I went and put 5 gallons in it, and it still wont start. Check engine light is on but I cant take it anywhere to get it checked out cause it wont start. I calledthe dealership and they recommend ed cycling the key a few times, so I did that, but still nothing, which leads me to believenits the fuel pump.

Sounds like the fuel pump isnt turning on when I flip the key. Could it be the asd relay?

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys

Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 AM
RAMULAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran my 92 out of gas once. Toasted the pump as they are fuel cooled/lubricated. I'll bet you'll need to drop the tank and pull the pump out. The filter is on there too and might be all clogged up . But I'll bet the pump is burned up. Happens a lot.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 AM
plumcrazy73
Captain

hey make them put a new pump in it

Old 04-21-2013, 03:16 PM
RamTRX
Rookie

I've never ever ever had any mechanic "test" the breaks after a new break job. I'd have an issue with their actions and make them pay for the new pump

Old 04-21-2013, 03:22 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How far did they drive it? I do not see an issue running it around the block to test, but if that is all they did how would you have made it to a gas station when you left?

Now if they went on an extended test drive then the fix at their cost is a slam dunk.

Other posts are spot on. Today's vechicles need gas in the tank as it acts as a cooling agent to the pump. I never let mine go under 1/8 if I can help it. Learned my lesson with a Firebird.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:29 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

I'm not going to dispute the folks who are saying the pump may have failed but, man, I find it really odd and disturbing that something as minor and potentially common as running out of gas would destroy a pump. I know about the hazards of sucking up crap from the bottom of the tank when you run dry, but that should be as easy as a new filter. A fuel pump should not die from running out of gas once.

Rob

The following users liked this post:
Hmmmm (12-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:15 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
I'm not going to dispute the folks who are saying the pump may have failed but, man, I find it really odd and disturbing that something as minor and potentially common as running out of gas would destroy a pump. I know about the hazards of sucking up crap from the bottom of the tank when you run dry, but that should be as easy as a new filter. A fuel pump should not die from running out of gas once.

Rob
Curious - have you owned any other vehicles made this century? This isn't a dodge thing and fuel lubricated pumps aren't a new thing either.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM
andyp4x4
Default test drive

How could you expect someone to work on your BRAKES and not test drive when they were done? That is ridiculous. And then you expect them to pay for it when you brought it there empty? Your reply did nothing to help the situation and makes less than no sense. I was going to let it go but just couldn't.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by andyp4x4
How could you expect someone to work on your BRAKES and not test drive when they were done? That is ridiculous. And then you expect them to pay for it when you brought it there empty? Your reply did nothing to help the situation and makes less than no sense. I was going to let it go but just couldn't.
I've never heard of a test drive after a standard brake job. They replace the brakes, drive it out of the bay and park it.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:25 PM
plumcrazy73
Captain

well for one, they should do a test drive to ensure the brakes are working properly. IE not pulling and actually working. and two they should have checked the gas gauge before the test drive, if it was brought to them empty, then don't do the test drive or put 2 gallons of gas in it and charge the customer. And yes everyone I am a mechanic.

Quick Reply: Help!!! ran out of gas, now truck wont start