4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problem Guides
Print Wikipost

Help!!! ran out of gas, now truck wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:43 AM
shieldsdb
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Curious - have you owned any other vehicles made this century? This isn't a dodge thing and fuel lubricated pumps aren't a new thing either.
Curious: I can't count the number of times my wife has run out of gas in my 99 Ram or her 06 Yukon. It has been at least 20 times apiece. It has happen so many times that both of the floats (or whatever they use) are screwed and the fuel gauge reads off by a quarter tank. Never have I had to replace the fuel pump. I suppose there is a chance that you got a lemon fuel pump.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:47 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shieldsdb
Curious: I can't count the number of times my wife has run out of gas in my 99 Ram or her 06 Yukon. It has been at least 20 times apiece. It has happen so many times that both of the floats (or whatever they use) are screwed and the fuel gauge reads off by a quarter tank. Never have I had to replace the fuel pump. I suppose there is a chance that you got a lemon fuel pump.
Once it is out of gas - do you leave the key on and continue to try to start it? As a side note - how the heck do you run out of gas 20 times? Apparently it hasn't been inconvenient enough yet to learn a lesson from.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:18 AM
shieldsdb
Rookie

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Once it is out of gas - do you leave the key on and continue to try to start it? As a side note - how the heck do you run out of gas 20 times? Apparently it hasn't been inconvenient enough yet to learn a lesson from.
That is an issue you need to take up with my wife. I've stopped trying to explain the importance of the little light on the gauge! It's really disturbing when you find out that the gas station is on 1.5 miles down the road. As to how many times she tried to crank it after it stalled, I do not know.

This is just a taste of the issues you deal with while deployed!!!

Note: It is at LEAST 20 times...in two different vehicles.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:52 AM
RAMULAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious. Did you say you checked the fuel pump relay and fuse?
Disconnect the battery cables off the battery, and touch the positive and ground together for a few seconds reconnect the battery. Maybe the computer is stopping the pump for some reason?

Old 12-22-2023, 05:45 AM
Hmmmm
Default Agree after seeing this.

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
I'm not going to dispute the folks who are saying the pump may have failed but, man, I find it really odd and disturbing that something as minor and potentially common as running out of gas would destroy a pump. I know about the hazards of sucking up crap from the bottom of the tank when you run dry, but that should be as easy as a new filter. A fuel pump should not die from running out of gas once.

Rob

Quick Reply: Help!!! ran out of gas, now truck wont start