4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problem Guides
Print Wikipost

Ticking sound when coasting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:46 AM
popsnbeer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are definitely my symptoms on my 2013 hemi with 10k miles! I've brought it into my 5 star dealer twice now where they didn't notice anything. Guess I'm going to have to drive with them. Thanks for the details on how to prove it's the MDS.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:25 PM
sre
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fixed my 2010 ram hemi with this problem by replacing the mds solenoids under the intake manifold.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Dusty48
Veteran

Originally Posted by sottis
hey dusty48, just an aside - what brand brake pads did you put on?
Really sorry and apologize for this very late response.

I used Mopar replacement pads, 5143350AC and Mopar rotors, 52010080AE.

Regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 004300 miles.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Dusty48
Veteran

I see a few of you responded to my earlier post asking about motor oil usage in 5.7 Hemis that have the coast down engine tick. I apologize for not responding earlier, but I did not receive a message notification for your responses.

The reason I wanted to poll on oil usage is because my technician originally though the ticking noise was related to engine oil selection. The dealer changed the oil three successive times at Chrysler's expense in 1500 miles. As it turned out, it was not oil related.

Here's the story on my 2010 Ram Big Horn.

I started to hear a ticking noise at start up. This turned out to be the result of broken exhaust manifold studs, two on one side, one on the other. Dealer service department said this was a warranty repair, and technician elected to change all exhaust manifold mounting hardware (all studs, bolts, washers, and gaskets), both sides.

During the repair process one stud could not be removed, so technician ordered a new cylinder head. Head was on backorder (an ominous sign), so Chrysler apparently shipped one off the line fully populated with valves and springs and received it in three days. Fortunately, my dealer is great gave me a loaner.

Repair was completed and I was on my way. Later that fall I began to notice the coast down ticking problem. It took me a while to understand what was going on, but eventually I realized it was directly affected by switching off MDS. Dealer's service staff had never seen or heard of this problem (aren't I lucky) and scratched their heads for a while. That's when they felt it could be an oil problem.

After it was determined not to be oil related, they ordered and replaced the MDS solenoids and MDS lifters. After a week the problem returned. This time the technician involved asked me if this symptom started after the head replacement. I said, "yes," so they ordered another cylinder head, but this time it was not a complete assembly. The technician had to order the valves and springs as well. That repair was completed at around 83,000 miles.

I have since traded that truck in on a 2014 Ram Big Horn. It had 104,000 miles on it at trade in time. Just two weeks before I turned it over to the dealer, I heard the coast down tick just after startup one evening. That particular evening the temperature had dropped significantly, probably to the low 40s. After driving one or two miles the noise disappeared and did not return again right up until the time I picked up my new Ram in late May of this year.

Frankly I suspect the issue was somewhere else in the motor. The noise, I believe, is being caused by one of the MDS lifters going past zero lash (too much clearance between the low side of the camshaft lobe and the bottom of the lifter). The technician swears there where no bent pushrods and that installed valve height was right on. Assuming all other valve train components were the correct parts and not defective in any way leaves the camshaft as a suspect.

I later learned that after a Chrysler technician seminar one of the local techs mentioned they had two Ram customers with the same symptom and scenario. As far as I can tell, this problem affects a very, very small population of 5.7 Hemi motors in Rams. I've not heard of this problem in cars.

Regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 004400 miles.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:42 AM
sre

I just noticed last night that the noise is back. I replaced the mds soleniods and the noise was gone for a week or so. I was thinking maybe the lifters are the problem but after reading that Dusty had the solenoids and lifters replaced and the noise still come back makes me wonder. Why would replacing the soleniods make the noise go away for a week or so? If the camshaft was a problem wouldnt it always make the noise? I just got this truck and didnt notice this noise untill after i bought it and it doesnt have any warranty remaining. I would really like to get this problem fixed.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Dusty48
Veteran

Originally Posted by sre
I just noticed last night that the noise is back. I replaced the mds soleniods and the noise was gone for a week or so. I was thinking maybe the lifters are the problem but after reading that Dusty had the solenoids and lifters replaced and the noise still come back makes me wonder. Why would replacing the soleniods make the noise go away for a week or so? If the camshaft was a problem wouldnt it always make the noise? I just got this truck and didnt notice this noise untill after i bought it and it doesnt have any warranty remaining. I would really like to get this problem fixed.
What year is the truck, how many miles, and where did you purchase it?

Regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 004500 miles.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 PM
sre

[QUOTE=Dusty48;3184538]What year is the truck, how many miles, and where did you purchase it?

Hey Dusty
I bought it from a dealer for whole sale price. It has 187000 kms. I am in Canada.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the noise really loud? does the truck have any other symptoms, burning oil, loss of power? loss of MPG?

Just wondering if the noise is normal for a hemi with that may miles-kilometers.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:25 PM
sre

Pedro Dog it doesnt use any oil that im aware of. It has good power and still seems to be good on gas when using eco mode. It uses more fuel when i drive it in auto stick mode so it doesnt make the noise. I will now admit that i am a dodge tech at a dealer. My truck is the first one i have seen with this problem but just last week we had 2 truck come in with the same problem. i will be getting tech support involved with this. I have drivin lots of trucks and never noticed this problem. In my oppinion it is NOT normal. If tech support tells me it is im not going to be happy.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm just trying to understand, seems cam related. As long as they are working it on their dime then all you can do is wait. I get nervous when mechanics start swapping parts and have the opportunity to screw up on other places.

I'd be pretty unhappy too if I was you.

Just had a dumb thought, put higher viscocity oil in the truck that disables MSD and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Ticking sound when coasting?