4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2013 Remote Start install problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you can program them yourself...If I remember right its even in the manual how to do it. You just use a fob thats already programmed to your truck. However I still think you will need to pay the money to get the actual starting procedures flashed to your truck.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:09 AM
CHRGD
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate769
I think you can program them yourself...If I remember right its even in the manual how to do it. You just use a fob thats already programmed to your truck. However I still think you will need to pay the money to get the actual starting procedures flashed to your truck.

Very good, thanks Nate.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Zookeeper
Amateur

Originally Posted by Travelin man
They were going to use the original key fobs and told me you would press the unlock button twice to start the truck. The remote start cost me $450. installed. I call Dodge's customer servise yesterday and like I thought they had no clue about it and could not tell me anything. For a $42,000.00 truck you would think someone would be able to get you some answers.
I'm not sure about the 2013's but I had the same exact thing done to my 2010 SLT but instead of hitting the unlock button twice, you have to hit it three times. These trucks are already wired for remote start from the factory and only need a module to convert the signal. The shop that did mine only charges $220 and you don't need to get the key fobs reprogrammed. After they did mine, I went home and tried my spare and it worked.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookeeper
I'm not sure about the 2013's but I had the same exact thing done to my 2010 SLT but instead of hitting the unlock button twice, you have to hit it three times. These trucks are already wired for remote start from the factory and only need a module to convert the signal. The shop that did mine only charges $220 and you don't need to get the key fobs reprogrammed. After they did mine, I went home and tried my spare and it worked.
That would be a non-factory remote start. The factory set-up includes new fobs with their own "start" button.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 PM
wstewart.cps

Originally Posted by Travelin man
Looking for some help/verification. I bought a 2013 Ram back in Febuary and paid extra to have the remote start put on the truck from the dealership. The dealership tryed to put a remote start on using the original key fobs but it did not work. They said it would start the truck one time then the next time it would not work. So they told me they called Dodge and they said that they new they had a problem and were working on a fix for it and that it would be 30-45 days for a fix to be out. I asked the salesmen what the fix was and he said that it would be a new set of key fobs that had the remote start button on them along with some other stuff he was not sure what . I talked to the salesmen yesterday and Dodge still has not came up with anything yet.It's now roughly 90 day's later and I still don't have a clue when they will have the remote start taken care of. I quess my question is has anyone else had the same problem with installing remote start after they purched the truck. Thanks
Sounds like an exact repeat of what I'm going through with my back up camera. They're telling me about 45 days.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 AM
aepowell
Rookie

It cost about 75.00 to have the fobs flashed. I had the factory remote installed on my 2013 in May. It works great. Your dealer is trying to use and aftermarket. For 450.00 you should have the factory unit. You CANNOT PROGRAM these yourself.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:00 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wstewart.cps
Sounds like an exact repeat of what I'm going through with my back up camera. They're telling me about 45 days.
Wstewart.cps,

Is there a problem with the back up camera kit that they are installing or was it installed at factory and now you are having concerns?

If you are having problems getting your back up camera concerns resolved, please feel free to PM your VIN# and I'd be happy to review this for you. If your vehicle is registered in the US you can contact my US counterpart, Chris (DodgeCares) or you can call 1-800-992-1997.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Travelin man
Amateur

ok guy's had the oem remote start finally installed and so far no problems with it. I was also able to keep the original key fobs for spares. I was talking to one of the tech's who worked on the truck and he was telling me that Dodge is getting harder and harder about adding any aftermarket electronics to these trucks.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Jam453

Hi Guys....new to this forum for exactly this topic. I bought a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 without remote start from factory. The dealer told me $600 for install...but...it cannot work with my factory key fob....I will get a 2nd key fob . The only other options was $350 per fob for a Remote Start equipped key fob.
I went aftermarket with a Viper Remote Start for $300 requiring only that I hit the lock button 3X then hold. It worked terrific for 5 weeks then KILLED the truck. I could not start remotely nor would my key work.....the entire truck was DEAD. While waiting for Dodge roadside assistance the Viper Remote Start tech came to my house. He went under the dash, bypassed the Viper Remote Start module and the truck has never had another problem ......except I lost the Remote Start feature !!!

Now the Viper Remote Start dealer is urging me to have them reinstall a " new" Viper module....but they want the truck ALL DAY for repetitive testing !! My concern is next time my truck won't go dead in my driveway......but in some distant location !
I'm lost....thinking about just asking for my $300 back.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:35 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jam453
Hi Guys....new to this forum for exactly this topic. I bought a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 without remote start from factory. The dealer told me $600 for install...but...it cannot work with my factory key fob....I will get a 2nd key fob . The only other options was $350 per fob for a Remote Start equipped key fob.
I went aftermarket with a Viper Remote Start for $300 requiring only that I hit the lock button 3X then hold. It worked terrific for 5 weeks then KILLED the truck. I could not start remotely nor would my key work.....the entire truck was DEAD. While waiting for Dodge roadside assistance the Viper Remote Start tech came to my house. He went under the dash, bypassed the Viper Remote Start module and the truck has never had another problem ......except I lost the Remote Start feature !!!

Now the Viper Remote Start dealer is urging me to have them reinstall a " new" Viper module....but they want the truck ALL DAY for repetitive testing !! My concern is next time my truck won't go dead in my driveway......but in some distant location !
I'm lost....thinking about just asking for my $300 back.
If your dealership wants $600 for the OEM remote start, you`re getting raped...PERIOD...! Most people only pay up to $300 installed for OEM. I would talk to your general sales manager at your dealership, seems if you bought the truck from them, they`d install it with free labor... most dealers will included it in the sale. You can buy the OEM remote kits all day long on the internet for around $200/$250 then have your dealer install it, flash the truck...done, and you get 2 key fobs in the kit. Make sure you check the kit for 2 key fobs, "some retailers" like to keep one of the fobs out of your kit and make you buy the other one from them. Every kit comes with 2 key fobs.

Yep, get your money back on the viper remote for sure. I`ve never seen an aftermarket remote that didnt have problems. Of course you`ll have tons of people in here that will say they`ve never had a problem with them. All i can say to that, is, GREAT, glad to here it.

Quick Reply: 2013 Remote Start install problems