4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2013 Remote Start install problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Travelin man
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Remote Start install problems

Looking for some help/verification. I bought a 2013 Ram back in Febuary and paid extra to have the remote start put on the truck from the dealership. The dealership tryed to put a remote start on using the original key fobs but it did not work. They said it would start the truck one time then the next time it would not work. So they told me they called Dodge and they said that they new they had a problem and were working on a fix for it and that it would be 30-45 days for a fix to be out. I asked the salesmen what the fix was and he said that it would be a new set of key fobs that had the remote start button on them along with some other stuff he was not sure what . I talked to the salesmen yesterday and Dodge still has not came up with anything yet.It's now roughly 90 day's later and I still don't have a clue when they will have the remote start taken care of. I quess my question is has anyone else had the same problem with installing remote start after they purched the truck. Thanks

Old 05-22-2013, 05:42 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The remote start kit comes with 2 new fobs, how were they planning to start the truck with the originals?

Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like they were trying to install an aftermarket remote start system. How much did they charge? The factory one runs $500 installed from what others have said.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Travelin man
Amateur

They were going to use the original key fobs and told me you would press the unlock button twice to start the truck. The remote start cost me $450. installed. I call Dodge's customer servise yesterday and like I thought they had no clue about it and could not tell me anything. For a $42,000.00 truck you would think someone would be able to get you some answers.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:29 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjeep
The remote start kit comes with 2 new fobs, how were they planning to start the truck with the originals?
This /\

The Mopar remote start kit should have had new FOBs in it. You can still use the originals, but they won't have remote start function.

They said it would start the truck one time then the next time it would not work
That is just an unintended glitch if it IS true. I would be having dialogue with the service manager/advisor rather than the salesman.

Last edited by TNtech; 05-25-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:08 AM
Atomic Dog
Professional

Sounds like they are trying to graft an aftermarket remote start system into the truck. Lack of new key fobs, double click unlock to start, sounds suspect to me. Hit them with the knowledge about the factory setup and make them do the right thing. Last thing you want is something aftermarket entwined into a complex system.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by Atomic Dog
Sounds like they are trying to graft an aftermarket remote start system into the truck. Lack of new key fobs, double click unlock to start, sounds suspect to me. Hit them with the knowledge about the factory setup and make them do the right thing. Last thing you want is something aftermarket entwined into a complex system.
Totally agreed...however did they not change the fobs on the higher ram models? I thought that ram finally came out with the remote keyless entry and pushbutton start? In which case I would have to think that the fobs have changed, no idea on that tho.

The electronics in these vehicles are almost getting to the point of outta control. Its seeming that the aftermarket companies are having a harder time keeping up with what's coming out. Which is why I totally agree with you Atomic. My best guess is that they are trying to put in an aftermarket starter, because the factory starter would involve changing and flashing and affecting more then an aftermarket system. Aftermarket starters run their own software and just need certain "triggers" Where as a factory system is an integrated system.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:01 AM
CHRGD
Professional

I see some of these factory remote starts, with 2 new fobs, but they say they need programmed. Anyone know how much that costs?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:20 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by CHRGD
I see some of these factory remote starts, with 2 new fobs, but they say they need programmed. Anyone know how much that costs?
Mine is factory, 2 new fobs included, $250 installed (with flash also included)
Anyone paying more than that, your dealer has clearly got past your underwear, watch out.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 AM
CHRGD
Professional

The ones I see online are around $250 for the remote start system, and then it says you need to get the fobs programed. I was just curious as to how much I would have in the whole system. I would probably install it myself. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: 2013 Remote Start install problems