4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Hemi Tick vs Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
If I had to guess, I'd say the heat cycle characteristics of the heads, manifold, and bolts are not adequately paired. The bolts probably fatigue after many heat cycles and break. You'd think this could be solved pretty easily with different bolts but, as noted, only broken bolts get replaced, so the issue persists.

Rob
I agree 100% but would add that the hemi as designed runs extra hot on the back 2 cylinders. That is why only those back bolts break. The engineers were unable to figure out a way to adequately get the heat out (without redesigning the block and heads), so the heat/cool cycling is more extreme. This and the fact that the exhaust manifold expands and twists puts tremendous stress on the fasteners. If really hard bolts are used, then you run the danger of damaging the heads as the threads will fail. So the engineers would rather have the bolts break than the having to fix the heads. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 AM
SeanTG84
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well talked to one of the guys at the dealership that fixed the exhaust manifold bolts on my truck, and I know it could be complete BULL****, but he said that the replacement bolts that they install are re-engineered to reduce the issue. He also stated that in his 3+ years working at this current dealership, he's never heard of a truck coming back in to get bolts replaced that they had already fixed.

Take it for whatever its worth, but maybe, just maybe, there was something done about this issue...

Last edited by SeanTG84; 08-23-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I've had both sides done twice and I'm only at 64k miles.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 PM
brzelt

I had the bolts worked on at 73k, passenger bank.

Tomorrow they get to try again at 92k. This is the only issue that I have with the truck.... love the thing to death.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:52 PM
dredd781
Default 2nd Owner with a ticking noise

My 2009 Hemi, 80,000 miles, also has the ticking noise when cold. I am the second owner and do not have the Lifetime warranty. Took it by the dealer and they said it might be loose or broken exhaust manifold bolts, just like everyone else in this post. My question is this, if it is described under a RRT 10-009 service bulletin, then does that mean that I'm on the hook for the cost of repairs? Really love this truck, but hate to think that this is going to be an issue and I have to shell out $500-$800 every 20,000-30,000 miles.
Would Dodgecares care to respond, just so I know my options?

Dennis

Old 10-14-2013, 11:10 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not DodgeCares, but I'll give you my 2 cents. If you don't have a warranty in effect then the fix cost is your responsibility. An RRT/service bulletin is just an FYI on how to diagnose and resolve an issue, not a recall or a situation that extends warranty coverage.

The issue sucks, I agree. I hope to not have to fork out for this repair in the future. But ultimately it isn't one of the worst maladies that could afflict your vehicle on your own dime. Be happy it isn't the GM intake manifold gasket problem that plagued the V6's some time back.

Rob

Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 AM
glenn.d.smith
Professional

Someone mentioned earlier that this may not have been a problem in the earlier hemis. I had a 2003 Ram with the hemi and had to have a broken bolt removed and replaced with a heli-coil - it was the rear-most one on the passenger side. The way I see it you have 3 differnt types of metal (aluminum, cast iron and rolled steel) all with different expansion characteristics - something has to give eventually.

To BigBlue Edge above, I had a 1997 Silverado with the 305 and it had the intake manifold leak. Thankfully it leaked out the back and not into the engine so I just let it be until I sold it to buy the 2003 Ram

Old 10-15-2013, 12:04 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The exhaust bolt breakage is definitely confined a subset of Hemis. I had a 2005 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi and spent a lot of time on the Jeep forums back then... never heard of this issue with those.

Rob

Old 09-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Mwah
Default Second set of bolts going in

So I had my bolts and gaskets replace in 2010 in my 2009. Now heading to the shop to have them replaced again. So four years seems to be all you can get out of the 'improved bolts'!

Originally Posted by SeanTG84
Well talked to one of the guys at the dealership that fixed the exhaust manifold bolts on my truck, and I know it could be complete BULL****, but he said that the replacement bolts that they install are re-engineered to reduce the issue. He also stated that in his 3+ years working at this current dealership, he's never heard of a truck coming back in to get bolts replaced that they had already fixed.

Take it for whatever its worth, but maybe, just maybe, there was something done about this issue...

Old 09-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Tazman40
Professional

Just had my passenger side break a bolt with 52k on it.Called the dealer and asked if it was covered because i was the second owner of the truck and that i had heard the warranty was out the window unless i was original owner.He kinda laughed at me and said this was not true,the warranty follows the truck,not the owners so it was covered under the power train warranty.I get the feeling some of these dealerships are filling people full of **** when it comes to the transfer of warranty with used vehicles.Anyways,he didnt have a manifold and wanted one on hand incase the manifold was warped so hopefully it will be fixed soon.

On another note,its not just the Hemis doing this,Chevy and Fords are doing the same thing so we are not aloan

Quick Reply: Hemi Tick vs Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt