4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Lights Constantly On

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013 | 09:06 PM
dcutright63
|
Default Brake Lights Constantly On

I have a 2011 Ram 1500 4X4 Crew Cab. Last night I noticed the brake lights come on any time the ignition is on and they stay on. Dealer recommended disconnecting battery cables and holding them together for 30+ seconds to reset computer. Did not correct problem. I also unplugged the trailer brake control and the brake pedal switch. Neither of these worked. All three brake lights are coming on. Does anyone have any suggestions. Dealer seemed to be familiar with this problem but said I needed to come in for diagnostic. They aren't open until Monday and I would like to drive this weekend.

Old 09-27-2013 | 10:10 PM
Cmerritt84
Captain

Push the brake light switch bracket closer to the pedal. It's not fully closing when brakes are released.

The brake switch is wired so if it's unplugged they stay lit.

Old 09-28-2013 | 11:33 AM
maka
Amateur

no no no not the whole bracket. There is a little thing that comes out of the the brake device. It is suppose to come out and touch the smooth spot on the brake pedal arm. Pull it down you might have to give it a little force but youll feel it has grooves in it and it will click as it comes down. This happened to my truck when I removed the brake pedal and reinstalled it because it was squeeking.

Old 09-28-2013 | 03:31 PM
dcutright63
|
Default Brake lights staying on

I have checked the brake light switch and it is functioning properly Tested it and everything works as it is supposed to. Switch isn't the problem. Anyone else have an idea?

Old 09-29-2013 | 12:41 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by dcutright63
I have checked the brake light switch and it is functioning properly Tested it and everything works as it is supposed to. Switch isn't the problem. Anyone else have an idea?
Explain how you tested the brake light switch (?)

Old 09-29-2013 | 10:41 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dcutright63
If you tested the switch and the brake lights go on & off like they are supposed to then under what conditions do the brake lights stick on?

Rob

Old 09-30-2013 | 06:37 AM
dcutright63
|

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
If you tested the switch and the brake lights go on & off like they are supposed to then under what conditions do the brake lights stick on?

Rob
i pulled the switch off the vehicle and tested each of the 3 parts of the switch with a meter. They all work as they are supposed to. The switch also prevents the truck from being shifted out of park unless the brake pedal is depressed and it functions properly with the cruise control. It does not effect the brake lights at all. They stay on when ignition is turned on. They do not brighten or dim at all when the brake is pushed.

Old 09-30-2013 | 09:04 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Gotcha. Well, I guess it's time to let the dealer have at it then. Too much runs through the computer on these vehicles that it makes it hard to diagnose things.

Old 09-30-2013 | 10:59 AM
maka
Amateur

Make sure you put everything back the way it was so they dont void your warranty

Old 09-30-2013 | 11:27 AM
LU229
Banned

If you have installed an AFTERMARKET brake controller, thats likely what messed up your brake light circut. Ther is a NEW sub-harness that corrects the circut to install brake controllers on these trucks today, BUT, you might have already damaged the computor. (?)

Quick Reply: Brake Lights Constantly On