4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

"wrong key fob" error

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 PM
dane5556
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Katie from DodgeCAcares. I will be taking it in tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. They were very pleasant when I told them my problem, but were unaware of any problems like that.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:03 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the update dane5556. Keep me posted and PM me if you have any questions.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:20 PM
dane5556

Ok Katie, took my Ram in today and they told me the Fob was bad, it wouldn't take the programming. They did not have one in stock, but said if I brought it in tomorrow, they would have on there. The dealership was wonderful to work with. I will be back there tomorrow to get the new fob. The only sad part is that I do have to go back, it's 45 miles one way. Although, them not having one in stock hopefully suggests there hasn't been a problem with them.

Thanks

Old 10-25-2013, 04:05 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dane5556,

There are no known issues with the Fob's that we have heard from. I am happy to hear that your issues will be resolved today and the dealer is taking good care of you.

If you have any questions in the future please feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to help.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:25 PM
rsboyd1

Notch another 2013 issue with the "wrong key fob". Purchased new three months ago even though it goes against my "never buy a dodge again" rule that I created about 20 years ago. Fighting my impulsiveness I left the chev dealership and pulled into the dodge dealership and you can't beat the truck for the money. Plus I read the reviews and seemed positive so here I am.

I have manual locks so I don't even have a fob. I only got key from dealership and I have been "planning to drop in" to pick it up, but you know how it is when you are busy. The sales rep is sent the spare key with a mechanic and that key worked. The sales rep stated that the key doesn't have a chip in it, is that possible? I have received the "wrong key fob" error a few times before, but it always worked on the second attempt. I am leaving for work in a very remote area that is almost a 6 hour drive. No services for hours and now I have no confidence in a new truck.

That reminds me, for about a month the part of the ignition that gets pushed in and rotated when starting was stuck in. Whenever I shut the truck off I had to poke at it with a key to make the door open chime shut up. The part wouldn't pop out, but it would move enough to stop the chime. One day it just popped back out.

Guess I will have to fire up the old chev van that never let us down (but is getting rusty!). Two vehicles for 12 hours driving. Ouch.

Any others having this issue?

Old 12-24-2014, 08:36 AM
Tortoise

Hi All,
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with manual locks and windows. I have had the "wrong key fob" error four times in the 1 1/2 years since purchasing my truck. I had the dealer get me a 3rd key that I keep hidden to bail me out each time I get stuck and the spare has always worked (re-trying the bad key has never worked). The dealer has replaced and/or re-programmed the key each time and each time has said that they don't know of anyone else with the same problem. They opened up a "star case" with RAM which flags the issue as a potentially larger problem, but then the case gets closed after some period of time with no new activity. They re-opened the case for me yesterday. If your dealers have not opened a similar case for your issues, please ask them to do so. If enough of us complain, they should get serious about getting to the bottom of it. I asked the dealer to get in touch with the manufacturer again today and to try and get more information about what's being done. I'll post again if I get any worthwhile feedback.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:42 PM
slick912

2nd key will quit too. mine did today. how did you get fixed?

Old 06-03-2015, 04:19 PM
slick912

Originally Posted by BLACKDOG
I have a new 2013 Ram 1500. I do not have power locks or windows and therefore no key fob. I have a regular key that has electronics inside I assume. Now for the second time I am stranded because the key will not work. I get the error "wrong key fob". The first time it happened the dealer fixed it. That was about 6 weeks ago. Today it happened again. My spare key works for now. Has anyone had a similar problem.
Exact same problem, 2nd key will die too like mine. I was dead in the water, fortunately at home. Out of warranty, dealer said bring it in. Right, it wont start. I called a local locksmith who came to the house and programmed 2 new keys that worked. He said he had never seen one of those keys go bad, let alone 2. Must be a very common problem. I keep 2nd key in truck for next instance if I don't get rid of truck first. For $137 I was back on road.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:53 AM
Dan Potter

Originally Posted by BLACKDOG
I have a new 2013 Ram 1500. I do not have power locks or windows and therefore no key fob. I have a regular key that has electronics inside I assume. Now for the second time I am stranded because the key will not work. I get the error "wrong key fob". The first time it happened the dealer fixed it. That was about 6 weeks ago. Today it happened again. My spare key works for now. Has anyone had a similar problem.
I am on my 4th key now in 3 years. They still don't know what is wrong. They said no more free keys so i might have to get rid of this truck because I get stranded at very bad times.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 PM
Chaneya

Originally Posted by Dan Potter
I am on my 4th key now in 3 years. They still don't know what is wrong. They said no more free keys so i might have to get rid of this truck because I get stranded at very bad times.
Crap! I have the same problem and after 3 years and 4 keys, another one bit the dust this morning. Three different dealers have told me that they had never heard of this problem. Needless to say, I don't believe them and suspect it has happened to a lot of folks.

This was my first and now possibly my last Ram truck. I have really liked this truck in every other regard but this problem makes it way too unreliable for me. I travel a lot and am often hunting, fishing or in some area where there are no services for many miles (even if I could explain how to get to me).

Quick Reply: "wrong key fob" error