4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear axle swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013 | 05:15 PM
Atomic Dog
Professional

Maybe he just doesn't want his rates to go up. For 1K and a better gear ratio that he wants anyway I say he is making a good decision.

Old 10-29-2013 | 05:17 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Atomic Dog
Maybe he just doesn't want his rates to go up. For 1K and a better gear ratio that he wants anyway I say he is making a good decision.
If he has really taken it to the insurance co and they said that it needs to be totaled then it is uninsurable anyways.

I suspect there is a story that goes along with why it hasn't really been submitted to insurance.

Old 10-29-2013 | 07:24 PM
alex_ac
|
Amateur

So the actual reason is that the truck was already a total loss for the same issue!! I bought the truck from an insurance auction for 7K in Huston TX with a TX salvage title all I have to do is fix it!! I'm saving around $13,000!! Plus I don't mind a salvage vehicle!!

Old 10-29-2013 | 07:57 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech

Originally Posted by oldjeep
They want to make a 20K + truck a total loss over a rear axle? I find that hard to believe.
That IS odd.

Originally Posted by alex_ac
I'm saving around $13,000!! Plus I don't mind a salvage vehicle!!
Neither would I if it was nice enough and the price was right.

Old 10-29-2013 | 08:18 PM
oldjeep
Champion

So the actual reason is that the truck was already a total loss for the same issue!! I bought the truck from an insurance auction for 7K in Huston TX with a TX salvage title all I have to do is fix it!! I'm saving around $13,000!! Plus I don't mind a salvage vehicle!!
Good deal as long as you know what it'll take to get it reregistered once you fix it. Also be aware that most insurance companies will not insure a vehicle with a salvage title for anything but liability.

Old 10-29-2013 | 08:51 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

I find it hard to believe that the only reason for a salvage is the rear axle. Just hope that's all there is.

Texas code ; 501.091 paragraph 15 "Salvage Vehicle" defined "..total cost of repairs, exceeds actual cash value of the motor vehicle immediately before the damage; ... " [1]

Old 10-29-2013 | 10:56 PM
alex_ac
|
Amateur

I'm in New Mexico had the truck shipped here! I have a 2009 RAM and a 2007 Tahoe for the wife both with salvage titles as we'll and have full coverage insurance on both. So I know for a fact that I can get it insured!!

Old 10-30-2013 | 12:03 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Sounds like you know what you're doing. Good luck with the truck! It's just that I've seen more than a few salvage titles and some can be a good deal, but, I've also seen more than my share of them "crabbing" down the road.

Old 10-30-2013 | 12:15 AM
alex_ac
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
Sounds like you know what you're doing. Good luck with the truck! It's just that I've seen more than a few salvage titles and some can be a good deal, but, I've also seen more than my share of them "crabbing" down the road.
Yea I've been working in restoring salvage vehicles and selling them and when I come across a car that I like, I usually keep it until something better comes up!!

Quick Reply: Rear axle swap