4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tpms sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:43 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
Greg,

I believe the 2012 Rams will go into winter mode if all 4 of the TPM's are removed from the vehicle. When the vehicle is in winter mode no sensors or warning messages will appear on the dash.
And it goes into "winter mode" how....???? More info about this would be nice.
Is this something that could be flashed permanently into older models back as far as 09...????

Old 11-04-2013, 03:16 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LU229
And it goes into "winter mode" how....???? More info about this would be nice.
Is this something that could be flashed permanently into older models back as far as 09...????

LU229,

When all 4 of the TPMS are removed from the vehicle and the tires start to roll the TPM module will read that all 4 sensors are missing and enter a deactivation mode (Winter Mode), the TPM system becomes deactivated.

There is no flash update for this, either the vehicle is equipped with the feature or it is not.

I also reviewed this further and I am unable to confirm if this is on all North American models or just models built for the Canadian market. If your vehicle was built for the US, you can review with my US counterpart Lee (DodgeCares) to confirm if this feature is available in the US.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:04 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
LU229,

When all 4 of the TPMS are removed from the vehicle and the tires start to roll the TPM module will read that all 4 sensors are missing and enter a deactivation mode (Winter Mode), the TPM system becomes deactivated.

There is no flash update for this, either the vehicle is equipped with the feature or it is not.

I also reviewed this further and I am unable to confirm if this is on all North American models or just models built for the Canadian market. If your vehicle was built for the US, you can review with my US counterpart Lee (DodgeCares) to confirm if this feature is available in the US.
Here's info from the Factory Service Manual:

C1597-00-TPM SYSTEM DEACTIVATED-WINTER MODE

Theory of Operation

NOTE: When this DTC is active the TPM Module will enter a deactivation mode (Winter Mode) and the TPM system becomes deactivated. If winter tires and wheel assemblies are installed no repair is required.

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Module determines the TPM Sensor positions by performing the vehicle Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Sensor locate procedure. This procedure is run after the vehicle has been stationary for 20 minutes. After driving the vehicle at speeds greater than 24 km/h (15 mph) for a minimum of 10 minutes without the TPM Sensor installed, the TPM Module sends a bus message commanding the TPM telltale lamp to flash for 75 seconds. After the 75 seconds of flashing, the lamp will remain on solid and a chime will be heard. The message center will display SERVICE TPM SYSTEM for five seconds and shut off, all while the tire pressure values will be displayed as dashes. After the ignition has been cycled off and on the TPM telltail lamp will remain off, the message center will no longer display SERVICE TPM SYSTEM, and the tire pressures continue to be displayed as dashes.

When Monitored:
During vehicle TPM Sensor locate process.

Set Condition:
For BUX/Canada vehicles only where all four TPM Sensors fail the locate processes at the same time because the TPM sensors are not installed on winter tire and wheel assemblies.

Last edited by DodgeCares; 11-05-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 AM
LU229
Banned

So, i`m guessing this feature CAN NOT be flashed into the earlier 4th gen trucks...?

Old 11-09-2013, 10:33 AM
gregc57
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

went into winter mode no light on dash thanks for the help katie and lee

Old 11-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Ram Tuff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 dodge Journey r/t awd and when I put the winters on, the dash display go blank too. Sure beats having a light on all the time.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:02 AM
LU229
Banned

Sure would be nice if us guys with 2011 on back could get a reflash and have this same feature. Oh well, piece of black e/tape over the dash light works ok for now... and having to reset the EVIC display... guess its not such a big deal afterall.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:09 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LU229
Sure would be nice if us guys with 2011 on back could get a reflash and have this same feature. Oh well, piece of black e/tape over the dash light works ok for now... and having to reset the EVIC display... guess its not such a big deal afterall.
Wouldnt matter anyways. US models are not equip'd and will never be equip'd due to Federal Mandate regarding TPMS sensors.
I doubt you'd be able to get your dealer to flash over the the BUX setting either. Plus, you'd have daytime running lights..ughh
But you would pick up Fogs on with the highbeams feature..lol

Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Wouldnt matter anyways. US models are not equip'd and will never be equip'd due to Federal Mandate regarding TPMS sensors.
I doubt you'd be able to get your dealer to flash over the the BUX setting either. Plus, you'd have daytime running lights..ughh
But you would pick up Fogs on with the highbeams feature..lol
That's true, it would violate the law wouldn't it? Would be nice wouldn't it? I even had a tire shop refuse to install my winter tires because it disabled the TPMS. They even had a copy of the law laminated just to show customers who complained. I just took it home and installed them myself. I would like the DRL option turned on though. With the automatic headlight switch, I sometimes forget to turn them on in the heavy snowfall.

By the way, I never bother resetting the EVIC message or even cover the light. I just get in and drive. As long as it stops flashing and the chime stops after a couple of miles, it's easy to ignore for me. Thank god it stops chiming though, that would be the worst!

Quick Reply: tpms sensor