4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Locks, ESP, HVAC Controls not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:52 AM
HillBillE
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Best of luck at the dealer, HillBillE. Keep us posted on what happens!
Will do.

Had to jump start it today, so whatever is going on, killed the battery overnight.

Is a good battery, I have left my Ham radio and GPS on for 2+ days while at the cabin, and the truck started fine.

I played kinda dumb when I dropped it off (appointment is for 0800 tomorow, but we have a snow storm come in today, so they allowed me to drop it off early. Save them a tow, and I didn't want to drive over in ablizzard with no 4x4, wipers, defrost, etc)

Anyway, gave the service guy the symptoms, and said 'I did a quick search online, and found it may be the TIPM (saying each letter)

He said: "Yep, sounds like it may be the tip' im ."

At my funny look, he said TIPM, they call it a 'tip 'im'.

Hope to hear something tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'm driving the plow truck, '09 D2500 with a BOSS V-plow.

Would be anyway, with the storm coming through!

Old 02-11-2015, 09:17 PM
HillBillE
Professional

Good news? Or bad news?

Well, it is the TIPM, got a call from the dealer this morning.

Aaaaannnndd, they are on back order

Service guy said something about a 'minus 3', not sure what he meant there.

He couldn't give me a date on when they might get one

My cell phone was breaking up, and i was late, so I'll swing by tomorrow or Friday and see if I can get some definite answers.

Was too busy plowing snow and helping the kids with the Ham Radio school round up.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:00 PM
overtorqued

The good news is nobody was injured or put at risk by the failed TIPM. You know what the problem is and a replacement will fix it. The bad news is the part will be a re-manufactured factory TIPM. Based on my own experience, these have not been too reliable but my issues may have been isolated.

Search the web if you're interested and you'll find countless occurrences of this said many different ways but the message is usually the same;

The Center for Auto Safety’s (CAS) defect petition to the NHTSA alleges that “The power module is in millions of 2007-14 Chrysler Vehicles and fails at such a high frequency that Chrysler has run out of replacement parts".

Not sure what they're going to do about this but there's more than one class action lawsuit out there over the issue. I hope it means we'll see availability of a new and improved design either on a recall or generally available for purchase. I think a recall is justified but I would be happy with a reliable replacement TIPM.

Last edited by overtorqued; 02-12-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:32 PM
HillBillE
Professional

Originally Posted by overtorqued
The good news is nobody was injured or put at risk by the failed TIPM....................

.........I think a recall is justified but I would be happy with a reliable replacement TIPM.
I agree with both points.

Up here in northern Minnesota, it's not a good thing to loose the wipers/defrost and 4x4 all in one shot.

Sunday, the day it went out, I had to drive out to my dads, 10 miles, and grab the plow truck to plow the cabin out.

It was snowing, but warm enough that it was more of a freezing drizzle (25*)

It got worse as I headed north, and while I wasn't cold, the windshield was covered in ice.

The small amount of air pushed through while driving, kept a few inches of the windshield somewhat clear.

The last few miles, I was leaning over, looking out the bottom 5-6" of glass

At least our 3/4 ton (also an '09) has a manual shift T-case, so if it happens in that, won't loose 4x4

Anyone know the part# for the TIPM?

And if they are the same from '07-'14?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:18 AM
HillBillE
Professional

Well I stopped by the dealership last Friday.

The 'Minus 3' the service guy mentioned, meant that there are 3 TIPM's on back order (I'm #3)

They couldn't give me a date of when it might be in.

Haven't heard anything so far this week, will swing in again if I don't hear anything by Thursday.

My wife works at a shooting supply store 3 blocks away from the dealership, so it's easy to come up with a reason to swing by that area

Been eyeing up a couple new things that go 'BANG'!

Oh, and I get to visit with the missess too!

Old 02-21-2015, 12:09 PM
HillBillE
Professional

Well the new TIPM came in!!

They installed it, and guess what?

It is bad also.

Great.

Last word- waiting on another TIPM, but it's coming from the east coast, and you know, all the snow they have had....might be a few days.

GRRRRR. I want my truck back!

Driving the 3/4 ton daily sucks! My back went out again last week (not all the 3/4Tons fault, but it doesn't help it any)

I start Therapy Monday, and would really like my smooth riding coil sprung 1/2T to mobilate around in.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:52 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HillBillE
Well the new TIPM came in!!

They installed it, and guess what?

It is bad also.

Great.

Last word- waiting on another TIPM, but it's coming from the east coast, and you know, all the snow they have had....might be a few days.

GRRRRR. I want my truck back!

Driving the 3/4 ton daily sucks! My back went out again last week (not all the 3/4Tons fault, but it doesn't help it any)

I start Therapy Monday, and would really like my smooth riding coil sprung 1/2T to mobilate around in.
Sorry that you experienced this issue again. Continue to keep us posted!

Old 02-23-2015, 01:36 PM
overtorqued

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Sorry that you experienced this issue again. Continue to keep us posted!
Nice.

I'm on my 3rd TIPM in a year and you pick this moment to start offering concern and sympathy.

While I do appreciate your attempt to offer support to owners, what I and everyone else here really needs is a replacement TIPM they can rely on. Can you tell us if there's any work being done to fix this issue permanently?

There's a very obvious problem here that needs to be addressed in some form or fashion.

Last edited by overtorqued; 02-23-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:02 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

HillBillE,

Come to think of it, if you wish, I can track the order for you. If you would like me to do so, just PM me your VIN, contact information, and dealership information.

overtorqued,

I'm sorry that you've experienced this issue multiple times as well; your frustration is certainly understandable. If you run into another TIPM issue, please feel free to contact me directly so I can try to assist on my end.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:10 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

A bit concerned about the diagnosis at this point.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-25-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Power Locks, ESP, HVAC Controls not working