4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Early 2009 Dodge Ram Key self Programming. Class action Lawsuit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014 | 07:24 PM
DodgeBrat
|
Default Dodge Ram Key self Programming. 2009 to present being denied self Key program

I have an early 2009 Dodge Ram. As it is an early model I am missing a locking tailgate and a few other items. But One thing I am supposed to have is the ability to program keys and to not have to go to the dealer. This option was removed on later 2009 Dodge rams.

Here is the page from my manual.

Name:  dodgekey_zpsd86284ed.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  114.6 KB

So today I showed this to a chrysler dealer service manager. He was intrigued to say the least. He even went out to my truck to see if it worked. Same result as I had (no joy).

So Now if I want this key to work I have to pay another $60.00 to get them programmed. That's a total of $180.00 so far. I am not happy about this to say the least. It is supposed to work according to the manual.

I phoned Chrysler today about it (while in the service managers office). The lady said that their copy of the manual does not have any info on page 18 about the keys, So tough crap for me.

What pisses me off is that if Chrysler can so easily reprint a manual and change things then what is next? Remove the warranty from the manual so it does not exist anymore? Remove Roadside assistance so it does not exist anymore.... ect. ect. ect.

Also why do we not have the ability to modify our keys. 2008 prior could and early 2009 could as well until it was removed in a software patch. Is this to protect owners? Or is it to increase dealer revenues?

I am seriously thinking of taking this to small claims court. I believe a pretty easy slam dunk. Ill get my money back for sure(well maybe).

I think a class action against Chrysler would be better. But I do not need to go that route for myself.

Am I completely off my rocker here. This effects hundreds of thousands of vehicles......

Last edited by DodgeBrat; 02-18-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2014 | 08:50 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Yes, you are off your rocker. A class action lawsuit - over something they forgot to change in the manual? Get a grip, if it was possible on the 2008 then it had to be one of the last Chryco products that supported it - even my kids 98 Cherokee requires a trip to the dealer to program a new fob. Out of curiosity why are you having to program keys - loose it?

As for small claims court - have fun. You would have to take Chrysler to court - not your dealer.

Old 02-18-2014 | 09:53 PM
DodgeBrat
|
Default lol

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Yes, you are off your rocker. A class action lawsuit - over something they forgot to change in the manual? Get a grip, if it was possible on the 2008 then it had to be one of the last Chryco products that supported it - even my kids 98 Cherokee requires a trip to the dealer to program a new fob. Out of curiosity why are you having to program keys - loose it?

As for small claims court - have fun. You would have to take Chrysler to court - not your dealer.
Its not a misprint.
It was an available option on earlier 2009 vehicles. Other chryco products had it available as well.

then Chryco decided to remove that option for owners and made it mandatory that we had to go to dealers and pay $40.00-$100.00 TO DO SOMETHING THAT WAS OBVIOUSLY FOR SHEER PROFIT.

As for small claims court I would never take my dealer!!!!! This has nothing to do with them... What pissed me off the most today is that Chrysler told me to go to the dealer and explain the situation and have them discount the service for me out of the dealers pocket WTF! It has nothing to do with the dealer. Of course I would take Chrysler to court. It would cost them 50 Times the amount in legal ect than it would to just get them to program my keys.

As for trips. Bought 2 more keys on ebay had to get them added. Then Lost 2 keys and had to get them removed. Then found a key in an old jacket and want it added.

My manual says I can. I should be able to.

Quite frankly my issue is not just for early 2009. It is for 2009 to present. My manual shows it WAS possible. As owners why do we not have the access to do it now. It should be up to us shouldn't it? It seems this was removed as a software patch. Im sure it could easily be added to 2009 to present with a software patch!!!!

Last edited by DodgeBrat; 02-18-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-18-2014 | 11:49 PM
LU229
Banned

Forget the lawsuit, you wont win. (chrysler will claim TYPO error, and they`ll win) If chrysler is willing to give you a break on the price thru your dealer, take it and forget about it. Next time remember where you put your key(s), it`ll be less of a headache for you.

Old 02-19-2014 | 01:45 AM
DodgeBrat
|

Originally Posted by TNtech
The procedure will only work if you have 2 valid fobs/with keys already programmed to it.

Did you have 2 already?
Yes I have 2 keys. But the programming does not work. Local service manager could not get it to work either.

Old 02-19-2014 | 01:47 AM
DodgeBrat
|

Originally Posted by LU229
Forget the lawsuit, you wont win. (chrysler will claim TYPO error, and they`ll win) If chrysler is willing to give you a break on the price thru your dealer, take it and forget about it. Next time remember where you put your key(s), it`ll be less of a headache for you.
Chrysler is asking me to ask the dealer to take the hit. I find this unacceptable.

A simple typo this is not. It is a complete page.

Old 02-19-2014 | 01:50 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech

Originally Posted by DodgeBrat
Yes I have 2 keys. But the programming does not work. Local service manager could not get it to work either.

Nah, that post was wrong. I did some digging and it looks like you have a 2008 owners manual in your glove box. The 2009 manual only states that the keys are programmed by a dealer. I still think that if you have the old style keys, it should work. DO you have the bean shaped Fobics or the triangle fobs with integral key?

You can get the right one in PDF form from the Dodge/owners website.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-19-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-19-2014 | 10:08 AM
LU229
Banned

Chrysler is asking me to ask the dealer to take the hit. I find this unacceptable.

A simple typo this is not. It is a complete page.
Chrysler SHOULD step up and communicate directly with your dealer to help you in some way...PERIOD
That would be the sensible thing for them to do... but for either of them to step up, that would be "unacceptable" to them.

Old 02-19-2014 | 06:37 PM
DodgeBrat
|
Default Sorry but no!

This is my copy of the manual.

Name:  dodgekey_zpsd86284ed.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  114.6 KB

So lets move on from the fact that I have the wrong manual. This is obviously the correct manual for the correct vehicle with the correct page!

Got to love people defending Chryco Canada and its piece o SH*t ceo demanding $400 Million from the people of Canada.

Attached Thumbnails Early 2009 Dodge Ram Key self Programming.  Class action Lawsuit?-2009dodge_zpsd3e3c932.jpg  

Last edited by DodgeBrat; 02-19-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2014 | 07:46 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech

This is my copy of the manual.

So lets move on from the fact that I have the wrong manual. This is obviously the correct manual for the correct vehicle with the correct page!

Got to love people defending Chryco Canada and its piece o SH*t ceo demanding $400 Million from the people of Canada.

Is there a reason you couldn't answer my question about what type keys you have? Was trying to find a resolution for you, but you seem to hung up on the wrong info in a handbook. A handbook which was published in the middle of a bankruptcy by Daimler-Chrysler.

Nevertheless, if you want a key programmed it appears it's on you. Don't waste a ton of energy bichin' about 60 bucks. Pick your battles, my friend.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-19-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Early 2009 Dodge Ram Key self Programming. Class action Lawsuit?