4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fog light install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:44 PM
Heminoob
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog light install question

Bought myself a newer Ram (traded in my '03 for a low-mile 2011 at the dealer) and started the farkling. Put on a bush bar and mounted up a pair of cheap 55w fog lights from Princess Auto (Canada's version of Harbor freight). Bought a wiring harness with the fuse, relay, and switch set-up for ease of install.

Got everything wired up perfectly EXCEPT for a little red wire running from my switch along with the black one and the white one. The instructions say to splice the red wire in to my low beam or highbeam or fog light wire, depending on how I want them to come on. Problem is, I don't have a Haynes manual and I have no idea where any of those wires are except where they come right off the connector behind the bulb. I want to set up up so my off-road fogs come on when I push the button for the OEM fogs to come in. Would it be easiest for me to just pull that switch off my dash and wire up the red wire to that switch? Has anyone else done this and found a better/easier place to wire up their switch to?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:30 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you're installing non-OEM (cheaper) fog lights, its a good idea to wire them on their own independent circuits and not splice into the vehicle harness.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TNtech
If you're installing non-OEM (cheaper) fog lights, its a good idea to wire them on their own independent circuits and not splice into the vehicle harness.
I agree with this. Not worth the risk. Read about the Dodge TIPM and you will understand why. Any decent auto parts store will stock everything you need to do an install completely independent of the factory electrical system minus the connection to the battery.

Quick Reply: Fog light install question