4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mopar Catback w/ Drone Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014 | 07:38 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ramrod48
My drone isn't caused by my mds, when my mds kicks in it sounds like a bread truck with two cylinders down. The drone I get is at a certain rpm. usually around 30/40 mph.

I cannot believe you called people Idiot's who are just looking for input.

to each their own I guess
I never called anyone an idiot. Better luck next time?

Old 06-26-2014 | 10:44 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by ramrod48
My drone isn't caused by my mds, when my mds kicks in it sounds like a bread truck with two cylinders down. The drone I get is at a certain rpm. usually around 30/40 mph.

I cannot believe you called people Idiot's who are just looking for input.

to each their own I guess

I agree with you Ramrod...drone happens as you stated at certain rpm levels or multiple rpm levels, and MDS certainly isn't what causes drone, since drone has been around a lot longer than MDS has, and for someone to claim that by turning off MDS the drone disappears says a lot about the person making the statement...don't ya think

Old 06-26-2014 | 01:24 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Old Man with a hemi
I agree with you Ramrod...drone happens as you stated at certain rpm levels or multiple rpm levels, and MDS certainly isn't what causes drone, since drone has been around a lot longer than MDS has, and for someone to claim that by turning off MDS the drone disappears says a lot about the person making the statement...don't ya think
Yep, I have no clue what I'm talking about. It's not like I made a 750 mile trip to my duty station without experiencing any drone, and then as soon as I put on an a new muffler I was getting mad drone with MDS. I haven't a clue how that happened.

Old 06-26-2014 | 11:17 PM
PaPa_Capinuraz

Have to agree with Old Man with a Hemi on the Dynomax muffler...put one on my 2002...sounded great and no major drone...looking to put one on my 2014 real soon

Old 06-27-2014 | 02:16 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
Yep, I have no clue what I'm talking about. It's not like I made a 750 mile trip to my duty station without experiencing any drone, and then as soon as I put on an a new muffler I was getting mad drone with MDS. I haven't a clue how that happened.

Quote MoparMan1991: Turning off MDS alone will fix the problem.....sorry but this is just not a factual statement. Drone occurs on vehicles that don't have MDS, so MDS has absolutely nothing to do with drone. Yours might have had a very bad sound with MDS turned on after you put that Flowmaster muffler on it but logically an engine running on 8 cylinders should drone more than one running on 4. I know the sound you were experiencing since my last Hemi truck had a louder than stock muffler and sounded terrible when the MDS kicked in, and I also bought a tuner so I could turn it off, but it still droned with it turned off, but sounded much better than with the MDS turned on

Last edited by Old Man with a hemi; 06-27-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2014 | 06:58 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Old Man with a hemi
Quote MoparMan1991: Turning off MDS alone will fix the problem.....sorry but this is just not a factual statement. Drone occurs on vehicles that don't have MDS, so MDS has absolutely nothing to do with drone. Yours might have had a very bad sound with MDS turned on after you put that Flowmaster muffler on it but logically an engine running on 8 cylinders should drone more than one running on 4. I know the sound you were experiencing since my last Hemi truck had a louder than stock muffler and sounded terrible when the MDS kicked in, and I also bought a tuner so I could turn it off, but it still droned with it turned off, but sounded much better than with the MDS turned on
I just find it weird because before I replaced the muffler, the only time I could hear my exhaust was at full throttle. It was as quiet as a mouse.

Old 06-28-2014 | 09:31 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
I just find it weird because before I replaced the muffler, the only time I could hear my exhaust was at full throttle. It was as quiet as a mouse.

Mopar Man....those aftermarket mufflers make anything that is quiet sometimes become obnoxious . I went through 6 different mufflers on my 06 before I found one that definitely keeps the drone down to next to nothing. It was a 26 inch long DynomaxSuperturbo. It was the only one that I could live with, but even being nearly exactly what I wanted, it still sounded funny with mds on. So the tuner stayed and MDS stayed off. The only problem with the Dynomax muffler is that it is too quiet for most people looking for an aftermarket muffler. From the inside it sounds nice and racy, but very quiet outside. I had a CAI on the 06 and it was the only aftermarket muffler that I could actually hear the CAI, but to me it sounded great...inside and out, and they flow better than the one you have on there now. This new truck gets so much better gas mileage that I think I'm going to leave it alone and see if it continues to get good mileage. My 06 had all the bolt-ons including high flow cats and headers. Good luck, let me know if I can help you in any way. I'm old but not dead...lol

Last edited by Old Man with a hemi; 06-28-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-22-2014 | 09:40 PM
2011BlackRam
Professional

Originally Posted by 2011BlackRam
My 24" Magnaflow drones like crazy at about the same speed. I'm curious to hear more about this J pipe, I've never heard of it. Now that its camping season, I am pulling my camper a lot and the added load makes it drone even worse.
I ended up buying the Mufflex drone pipe. The install was easy, it took about a half hour only. The difference is amazing, if my windows are closed I can only hear any noise from the exhaust when I am heavy on the throttle. Cruising on the highway is as quiet as stock, all the drone has been eliminated. From the outside, I can't tell any difference in volume or tone compared to before I installed the pipe. The pipe is adjustable, I might fine tune it to make it a little more noticeable inside, but I want to tow my camper first to see what it sounds like before I adjust anything.

Old 07-23-2014 | 09:58 AM
Dusty48
Veteran

As an aside, if one doesn't like to use the ERS (manual shift) mode to stay out of MDS, initiating the Tow/Haul Mode will do the same thing.

Regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 004300 miles.

Old 07-23-2014 | 01:48 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

My 09 CC 2WD with stock single exhaust has a light drone at highways speed with and without MDS on. I don't really notice it when I'm driving but on a trip, I decided to ride in the back seat right behind the driver. Man, I was surprised at how annoying the drone can be riding there.

I suspect that different custom exhausts change the frequency and pitch of the drone to the point where MDS may or may not make a difference on individual trucks. Try riding back there and see what I mean.

Quick Reply: Mopar Catback w/ Drone Issue