4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Spark Plug change intervals

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Dusty48
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboGPZ
I have had the change of plugs quoted to me as 2 hrs of shop time, $198 + $96 for the plugs + 15% taxes. $345. Maybe I'll change the easy ones and take it to the shop for the last 4 behind the master cylinder.
On my 2010, heater hoses ran over the top of the ignition pack on the rear cylinder, right bank. Not quite as bad as the two cylinders under the brake booster, but still a problem.

Regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 004200 miles.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:07 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty48
I know the 100K plugs are going to cost me more, but changing them out is not a pleasant job for an old guy like me with short arms, a weak back, and too much belly.
Yeah, I'm with you. Not as young and flexible as I used to be. I'm thinking I'll just use the high-dollar ones just so I don't have to do it again.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:19 PM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by Duso02
Yeah, I'm with you. Not as young and flexible as I used to be. I'm thinking I'll just use the high-dollar ones just so I don't have to do it again.
I am with you on the first part. Even though i'm 6'5 and reaching the plugs is not the issue, my back does not like leaning over that much anymore. But i have heard that platinum plugs are not recommended in these trucks?

Old 07-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Duso02
Captain

Originally Posted by NV290
But i have heard that platinum plugs are not recommended in these trucks?
I agree, I have heard the same. And I've repeated it as well, but know I really have my doubts as no one has really backed it up with any facts. Platinum and iridium are used to extend the life of the the electrode and the ground terminal. That's it. I'm not sure how this can make the engine operate any better or worse. I'm of the mind that it's purely for better wear, meaning they will last longer, meaning I won't have to climb on top of that engine as much. I look at it like synthetic oil. Any oil will function great as long as it is changed when it's due. Synthetics greatest advantage to me is the extended change interval.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Dusty48
Veteran

Originally Posted by Duso02
I agree, I have heard the same. And I've repeated it as well, but know I really have my doubts as no one has really backed it up with any facts. Platinum and iridium are used to extend the life of the the electrode and the ground terminal. That's it. I'm not sure how this can make the engine operate any better or worse. I'm of the mind that it's purely for better wear, meaning they will last longer, meaning I won't have to climb on top of that engine as much. I look at it like synthetic oil. Any oil will function great as long as it is changed when it's due. Synthetics greatest advantage to me is the extended change interval.
Heard the same thing and I don't buy it at all. What I've heard from techs, and often repeated on the web, is that there's "too much resistance" in platinum spark plugs.

The electrical resistance is higher in platinum and iridium metals. Copper actually has the lowest DC resistance of any metal used in a spark plug. However, the resistance in a conductor will only affect current flow unless the resistance is exceptionally high.

The problem is that the resistance differential between all of the metals being used as the center conductor in a spark plug is so low that it has no relative bearing on current flow in a spark ignition coil.

As we all know it's the spark that jumps the spark plug gap that ignites the fuel and air charge in the cylinder. The ignition coil is a simple primary/secondary transformer. Normally a transformer operates on AC currents and has no transformer effect with DC currents (DC current flowing in a primary will not produce a current in the secondary). So a spark coil generates a voltage by the collapsing electromagnet field in the primary, thus the secondary produces a high voltage charge of electrons only when the primary circuit is broken. Repeated many times produces the necessary spark to fire the spark plugs.

If you look at the spark-ignition circuit, the spark plug is directly connected to the secondary of the transformer. This is a constantly open circuit. The only time a current will flow is when the voltage is strong enough to jump the gap! Electrical resistance only affects current. In reality when the spark jumps the gap not only is the resistance around .001 ohms, but the pulse duration is so short there is only a miniscule around of current flowing, like around .01 microamps.

I think what has happened is that some engines received (either by manufacturer callout or selection) an incorrect heat range plug, and because they were platinum or iridium it was thought the problem was caused by the conductor in the spark plug.

Sorry if I bored anybody.

Bests,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 004500 miles.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Duso02
Captain

I find it funny when people will point out the resistance of platinum is higher. The plug is still copper.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:42 PM
WNDERR
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Autolite . APP5325 still the preferred replacement for 4th gen Hemis? At 30,000 now, and plan on changing them this year before winter. Will the double platinum raise my change interval? It's getting tougher to climb in/on/under/around vehicles. Getting old ain't fun! LOL

What plugs are the new Hemis coming with?

Last edited by WNDERR; 07-12-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Duso02
Captain

Originally Posted by WNDERR
Is the Autolite . APP5325 still the preferred replacement for 4th gen Hemis? At 30,000 now, and plan on changing them this year before winter. Will the double platinum raise my change interval? It's getting tougher to climb in/on/under/around vehicles. Getting old ain't fun! LOL

What plugs are the new Hemis coming with?
Apparently the new hemis are coming out of the factory with platinums. I waited to 50k miles and honestly they could have gone another 10k. The really were not that worn. I put in platinums and don't see changing them again before I sell it.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:07 PM
capsfloyd
Captain

2009 hemi , 272,000 on platinums

Old 07-13-2015, 07:51 AM
WNDERR
Veteran

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug change intervals