4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

remote start options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:19 PM
mattmoto441
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote start options?

Ok I need some help finding everything I need to do one of those dball? Remote start setups that uses the factory key fob. I seen a older video of a guy doing one and hope by now that someone sells it in a quicl and easy kit. I just am having trouble finding a place that is reputable and sells it all. If anyone can help that would be great .

2011 ram hemi sport 4x4

Old 11-11-2014, 08:27 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of online retailers selling the Mopar kit for as little as $220. But even if you do the install yourself you will still need to bring the truck to a dealer to have the system activated. While not an overly complicated install it's certainly not simple. You might want to inquire what your local dealer gets to install the complete system. It will certainly cost more then doing it yourself, but if the dealer does it the work is warrantied. And any time you are dealing with wireless devices and anything to do with an alarm system (which could disable the truck leaving you stranded) i prefer to let the dealer handle it.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:46 AM
WESIDE
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.directechs.com/Make.aspx?m=10

Make sure you buy the pigtail plug. No cutting and splicing then. and the programmer so you can fine tune the settings to your liking

Old 11-13-2014, 05:54 PM
06Ramin
Amateur

I just installed the factory Remote start in my 2012. Ordered it from eBay for about $200.
Part number 82212424AB. Comes with WIN module, antenna, new hood latch (with a sensor so the truck cannot be remote started while the hood is up), wiring for the hood latch sensor and 2 new Fobik keys.

I installed everything other than the WIN. Took it to the dealer to "finish" install and program the truck. Paid dealer around $100 to install the WIN and program the truck.

So for roughly $300 you can have factory remote start and 2 new keys.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:08 PM
WESIDE
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a bad deal. There may be a difference with the 2011 compared to the 2009. $300 and it includes the remote start key fogs sound pretty good. Many posts I read on the 09 were that lots of things had to be replaced for it to work and we were better off going aftermarket. Do some research on this one matt and you should be happy. I learned long ago thats its cheaper and wiser to do it right the first time.
Good luck

Old 11-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Bullcrappy

2014 is different i guess. I went to 2 dealers and it is between 500-600.00 and both said the entire dash has to come apart.

I am going with the ebay one that just uses the reg fob pushing button 3x

Old 12-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Caspero
Amateur

I got a Dball and T harness off of eBay all for about $85. It plugs In between you key switch and plug. Very easy to install. I had it done in 15mins and it has been working flawlessly for 2 winters now. Good range to.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:09 AM
northy

I got the dball and t harness off ebay. doug43235 was the user i bought it from. easy to install plug and play. just have to send him your specs of your vehicle and good to go

Old 12-15-2014, 01:49 PM
MikeG_2012

the 3x lock feature is no longer supported for the Dball...

Old 12-17-2014, 10:54 AM
rengnath
Champion

Correct that DBall no longer supports the 3x remote start. You'll want to look in to the 4x10 module from Doug instead, as this is what replaced the Dball. I've installed these systems on 3 Rams so far with the tharness and it was a breeze. For an easier installation, I didn't hook up the door pin switch and instead of tapping in to the parking lights at the BCM, I did it at the switch. My 14 Sport has the alpine system and the amp blocks access to the BCM. I worked with a user on another forum and Directed tech support confirmed that the door pin/rap off wire wouldn't affect the remote start.

As for the Directed RSR units, I love them. They can't be beat for the price or ease of install, and for anyone with the proximety key that didnt get remote start from the factory, going aftermarket is our only option. The only issue I encountered with the units was when I had SmartStart installed. I WOULD NOT recommend the SmartStart add on. I fried the ports on 2 Dball modules when using SmartStart, with no warning until one day it didn't work. After I removed the SmartStart from that vehicle, I never had another issue.

Quick Reply: remote start options?