4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wow...where to start...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:09 PM
timmypstyle
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wow...where to start...

Bought my 14 ram brand new in December. It now has 3500 miles on it. So far I have a metallic rattling noise coming from what sounds like under the passenger side dashboard when I hit bumps, transmission has locked up 4 times now between reverse and park, sliding window leaks....washed my truck and my drivers seat, steering wheel, and console got wet, my truck is missing the wheel key from the dealership, drivers side fog light is missing the spring and end that aligns the light (the screw was jammed in there behind the fog light to hold it in place aimed all the way up) cd player tends to not be able to find my cd randomly, and to top it all off I found a piece of paper, from the factory most likely, wedged under the radiator while I was changing the oil. Also oil filter placement couldn't be any worse for creating a huge oil puddle on the floor. So far I'm not impressed. Truck is quieter over all but my base model f150 had nothing wrong with it for 100k minus the slave cylinder in the tranny going twice and the late to develop seat squeak. So far my ram is the worst quality vehicle I've owned. When the tranny locks up I can't move the shifter and I literally have to get out of the truck and rock it til it slams and then low and behold "P" is green. But this has happened 4 times in about 2 weeks. To top it all off I have to take it in to get looked at but my girlfriend's truck was just dropped off at the body shop for about a week to repair damage from a blown tire so I have to wait a week. Sorry for rambling and venting...any help is appreciated.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:00 AM
mike2810
Captain

I would talk to a regional rep and your dealer about your issues.

Question. Has the transmission issue been fixed?
Has the water leak issue been fixed?

Basically, what has the dealership done to address your issues?

Old 02-12-2015, 10:39 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Have you had it in for service at all? What is the service department telling you? Are you documenting anything or just wanted to rant?

Old 02-12-2015, 11:10 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the park/reverse thing. Do you live somewhere with snow/ice? Some folks have reported an issue with snow/ice building up around the shift linkage and not allowing them to shift it fully.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:53 PM
timmypstyle
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Have you had it in for service at all? What is the service department telling you? Are you documenting anything or just wanted to rant?
I took it in today to tell them about the wheel lock and fog light. No problems and they said they would order them no charge. I got lucky with the transmission because it happened in front of them so 2 people 2 people there saw it so they wrote it down. I have taken pictures and videos of everything I've found so far and showed them so they took notes. I still have to wait to get it fixed since my girlfriend's truck is now changed from a 5 day fix to about 2 weeks. Sorry about the rant, just so happened I just had an arguement so I was already peaved. But yeah so glad the transmission locked while I pulled in their garage. I showed them what it took to get it into park (getting out and pushing the truck forward til it slams). And told them about the rattling in the dash so they are gonna look at that too.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:56 PM
timmypstyle
Rookie

Originally Posted by oldjeep
For the park/reverse thing. Do you live somewhere with snow/ice? Some folks have reported an issue with snow/ice building up around the shift linkage and not allowing them to shift it fully.
I do live in an area with a lot of snow and ice but it hasn't snowed in 3 weeks and has been 45 degrees or more for 2 weeks. Was in the 60s and 70s for 5 days and locked up on one of those days too. Ample chance for anything to melt. I've read on here that sometimes it's a sort of linkage to the shifter needing adjusted because the shifter doesn't put it in park.. thank you.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:25 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the rattle, one thing that may be causing it is the front seat passenger seat belt. Seems like when passengers exit my truck the buckle always ends up turned 90* and resting against the plastic trim panel. And bumps make it rattle like crazy. Simply need to straighten it out and all is well, but it's a pain. This happens a lot to me so I'm sure others may have the issue too.

What engine do you have? When I change oil on my Hemi almost all the oil dripping from the filter finds its way to the catch pan easily. A little hits some frame crossmember or steering stabilizer bar, but not much. I never have a mess on the floor.

Rob

Old 02-12-2015, 06:16 PM
timmypstyle
Rookie

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
For the rattle, one thing that may be causing it is the front seat passenger seat belt. Seems like when passengers exit my truck the buckle always ends up turned 90* and resting against the plastic trim panel. And bumps make it rattle like crazy. Simply need to straighten it out and all is well, but it's a pain. This happens a lot to me so I'm sure others may have the issue too.

What engine do you have? When I change oil on my Hemi almost all the oil dripping from the filter finds its way to the catch pan easily. A little hits some frame crossmember or steering stabilizer bar, but not much. I never have a mess on the floor.

Rob
I have a regular cab and when the rattling was happening, my girlfriend unbuckled and sat between the seat and dash as we went onto a dirt road and she heard it in the dash. We pulled everything out of the glove box and still rattled. I have the normal glove box with the big pit above it and it sounds like it's behind the pit. When I'm driving I can hear it and it sounded like front passenger side. Is there a way to lower the glove box past where it stops? I could reach up in there to look myself. As for engine I have the 5.7. The oil filter can't come straight down....i have to pull it towards the front of the truck thru a gap and then down. There is a cross member and something else like you said but I had oil running down my hands and dripping onto those parts before I got the filter off. When I change oil I always drain with the cap off and wait til it's and slow drip, then I put the plug back in and take off the filter (drain pan not big enough to catch from both at the same time), wait for slow drip and put new filter on, then pull plug again (get another half cup of oil out), wait for slow drip again, put plug back in and fill with oil. After filling I let it sit a few mins, then check dipstick, then start and let idle, check under for leaks, then Rev to about 2500 for a few seconds then look under again. Always done oil that way. My f150 had a cross member in the way also but had easier access but dripped from both sides of the crossmember. My ram drips from like 5 different places. I'll just have to try to catch it above the crossmember somehow next time. I will look at the seat belt but I honestly don't think it's that but doesn't hurt to make sure.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

for the oil change, this is what I do.

Jack the front up about 8-10 inches or so, I never really payed much attention to that part. Enough for me to comfortably slide under from the front. The jack is on the front drivers side cross member. This helps the oil drain out and also drip from the filter away from the steering rack

let the oil from the pan drip completely empty

place the oil catcher underneath the oil filter and loosen the filter so that oil drips down from the filter side away from the steering rack

loosen the filter so that it's almost ready to come off. This helps when you finish removing it with the plastic bag so you don't have too many turns to do at the end

grab a gallon zip lock bag and work it up all around the filter and jam it up as high as you can

finish spinning off the filter, most if not all of the oil that fall out falls into the bag. Then you can take the filter out the way you always do without dripping

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 02-12-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:12 PM
timmypstyle
Rookie

^ life saver lol. I have ramps but the truck is high enough to get under....still might use ramps next time to try what you said. They are about 8 inches or so I think. Never would have thought in a million years to use a zip lock lol thank you.

Quick Reply: wow...where to start...