4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2012 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi Idle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 02:08 PM
DirkFA22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DirkFA22

I know for certain that vehicles are set at nine hundred RPMs at the time they come from the factory and under my research under my 2014 ram 1500 5.7 L hemi four by four tradesmen the idle was set at 900 RPMs. from the factory and I know for certain that the dealers are changing the target idle speed from 900 RPM to 584 RPM with the version of software they put on your vehicle I'm going to have to take them to court to resolve this situation because I can't change the prom on the computer only they can and they've changed it on my vehicle the version of software the prom is programmable read-only memory and the ram is random Access memory I'm going to check my vehicle one more time to see if I can set the target idle before I sue them and if I can I'm still going to sue them because I have the information if you get a zuri computer pro from harbor freight you can figure this out a cost of a lot of money but you can figure it out

Old 06-05-2021, 06:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,293 Likes on 3,040 Posts

Your PCM is indeed flash programmable, however, from the factory, it is locked. To unlock it, gotta pay someone with the right equipment to do so, or, buy yourself a tuner.....

Old 06-09-2021, 06:07 AM
DirkFA22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkFA22
I know for certain that vehicles are set at nine hundred RPMs at the time they come from the factory and under my research under my 2014 ram 1500 5.7 L hemi four by four tradesmen the idle was set at 900 RPMs. from the factory and I know for certain that the dealers are changing the target idle speed from 900 RPM to 584 RPM with the version of software they put on your vehicle I'm going to have to take them to court to resolve this situation because I can't change the prom on the computer only they can and they've changed it on my vehicle the version of software the prom is programmable read-only memory and the ram is random Access memory I'm going to check my vehicle one more time to see if I can set the target idle before I sue them and if I can I'm still going to sue them because I have the information if you get a zuri computer pro from harbor freight you can figure this out a cost of a lot of money but you can figure it out

And to your response on that the computer has to be flashed that is incorrect ma'am or sir because the computer automatically uploads any current or up-to-date version of software you don't have to flash it at all no matter what computer you're hooked up to it will automatically download the current version and the current version of software is incorrect because the target idle is set at 584 RPMs thank you

There is a reason they do this it's because they don't want you messing with their program they like to correct it as they go so it's their problem not yours and if you flash the computer and ruin their program your liable not them

You can reset the ram to its regular values or normal set values but if you mess with their software on the prom you become the liability ram is random Access memory and prom is programmable read-only memory the programmable read-only memory is governed by the statutes of the company

They will automatically set up the software around the world so it will go on to your vehicle when you hook up with your computer if you have a computerized Zurich or etc. So if you have the proper computer you will always get the proper up-to-date version of software from your corporation of vehicle. So whatever you do don't try to destroy the prom to reset it the way you want it they will not protect you under their insurances by their company

Last edited by DirkFA22; 06-09-2021 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,293 Likes on 3,040 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkFA22
And to your response on that the computer has to be flashed that is incorrect ma'am or sir because the computer automatically uploads any current or up-to-date version of software you don't have to flash it at all no matter what computer you're hooked up to it will automatically download the current version and the current version of software is incorrect because the target idle is set at 584 RPMs thank you

There is a reason they do this it's because they don't want you messing with their program they like to correct it as they go so it's their problem not yours and if you flash the computer and ruin their program your liable not them

You can reset the ram to its regular values or normal set values but if you mess with their software on the prom you become the liability ram is random Access memory and prom is programmable read-only memory the programmable read-only memory is governed by the statutes of the company

They will automatically set up the software around the world so it will go on to your vehicle when you hook up with your computer if you have a computerized Zurich or etc. So if you have the proper computer you will always get the proper up-to-date version of software from your corporation of vehicle. So whatever you do don't try to destroy the prom to reset it the way you want it they will not protect you under their insurances by their company
Would love to see this documented somewhere. The folks I know that have worked on the newer stuff paid a place in Detroit for an unlocked PCM, and then were able to do their own tuning. (with the right software.....) Nothing automatic about it.

Quick Reply: 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi Idle Issue