4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mopar step side mounting

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 09:25 PM
dwaldmann
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "splash guards". My truck came with the factory "spats" (mudflap without a tail) and the steps mounted fine.

I now have aftermarket (Weathertech) mud flaps and they don't interfere either.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:31 AM
moze229
Rookie

Originally Posted by dwaldmann
Not sure what you mean by "splash guards". My truck came with the factory "spats" (mudflap without a tail) and the steps mounted fine.

I now have aftermarket (Weathertech) mud flaps and they don't interfere either.
Tomato, tomaato - splash guards, mud flaps - whatever. I have the "spats" also, but I'd like to put some real protection for the underside. It kept my last truck pretty nice down there. I keep hearing good things about the Weathertech stuff - I might look into those. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2015, 11:49 AM
moze229
Rookie

I decided to go with the Mopar step sides even though they are much pricier. For the mud flap problem, I'm going to buy some rubber ones that mount on the inside of the fender well (non-molded.) I like the look of the molded ones much better, but on my 2001 they ended up rubbing through the paint and creating a rust issue. That could be resolved with that 3M vinyl protectant stuff, but I don't feel like messing with all that.

I'll post some pics once I get it all on there.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moze229
I decided to go with the Mopar step sides even though they are much pricier. For the mud flap problem, I'm going to buy some rubber ones that mount on the inside of the fender well (non-molded.) I like the look of the molded ones much better, but on my 2001 they ended up rubbing through the paint and creating a rust issue. That could be resolved with that 3M vinyl protectant stuff, but I don't feel like messing with all that.

I'll post some pics once I get it all on there.

Ive got the factory molded ones on my truck with the OEM boards.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:14 PM
John Valdes
Veteran

I have the OEM factory nerf bars.
I noticed a rattle when I would go over the tiniest bump. Looked and even had someone sit in the back seat and in the bed to try and find out where the rattle was coming from. No luck and it was and still is bugging the crap out of me.

Not to long ago when I was stepping out, I missed the step and bumped the nerf bar.
There was my rattle.
Checked and tightened all bolts to no avail.
I think the only way to stop this is to put some rubber washers between the brackets and the threaded holes?
Or maybe they make a bushing/washer deal where the rubber surrounds the bolt shoulder too?

I am asking for suggestions. TIA.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:11 PM
moze229
Rookie

Originally Posted by John Valdes
I have the OEM factory nerf bars.
I noticed a rattle when I would go over the tiniest bump. Looked and even had someone sit in the back seat and in the bed to try and find out where the rattle was coming from. No luck and it was and still is bugging the crap out of me.

Not to long ago when I was stepping out, I missed the step and bumped the nerf bar.
There was my rattle.
Checked and tightened all bolts to no avail.
I think the only way to stop this is to put some rubber washers between the brackets and the threaded holes?
Or maybe they make a bushing/washer deal where the rubber surrounds the bolt shoulder too?

I am asking for suggestions. TIA.
I don't have mine yet, but on the '09 they differ a little from the current setup. The '09 to '12 sets only attach by the rivnuts if I'm not mistaken. (the threaded expansion inserts) that are inserted into the body of the cab. What you probably have happening is one of these rivnuts need to be expanded a bit more, or the hole where the insert goes is wallowed out so the rivnut is not in there as tight as it should be. If this is the case, any amount of tightening isn't going to fix the problem. You'll have to find a way to reinforce the attachment to the cab somehow.

On the '13 and up, they use the rivnut attachment, but also have more holes drilled at a slightly different location (at the pinch weld at the very bottom of the cab body) that also acts as an attachment point. This is much better because it gives added strength. I think this is why people were saying that the OEM bars flex when they step on them. On the OEM step bars that are made for '13's and up, I don't think that would happen.

Anyway from your description, I bet you'll find that one of the attachment rivnuts is hanging loose inside of the mounting hole. You can try getting it tighter (they have a tool for that or you can make one) and if that doesn't work, you'll have to see if the hole is wallowed out.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:55 AM
John Valdes
Veteran

Originally Posted by moze229
I don't have mine yet, but on the '09 they differ a little from the current setup. The '09 to '12 sets only attach by the rivnuts if I'm not mistaken. (the threaded expansion inserts) that are inserted into the body of the cab. What you probably have happening is one of these rivnuts need to be expanded a bit more, or the hole where the insert goes is wallowed out so the rivnut is not in there as tight as it should be. If this is the case, any amount of tightening isn't going to fix the problem. You'll have to find a way to reinforce the attachment to the cab somehow.

On the '13 and up, they use the rivnut attachment, but also have more holes drilled at a slightly different location (at the pinch weld at the very bottom of the cab body) that also acts as an attachment point. This is much better because it gives added strength. I think this is why people were saying that the OEM bars flex when they step on them. On the OEM step bars that are made for '13's and up, I don't think that would happen.

Anyway from your description, I bet you'll find that one of the attachment rivnuts is hanging loose inside of the mounting hole. You can try getting it tighter (they have a tool for that or you can make one) and if that doesn't work, you'll have to see if the hole is wallowed out.
Thanks. When I pull them off, I will check the rivnuts.
Your description of the possible cause sounds promising.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:27 PM
finc.jb
Professional

I had the Mopar ones since a week after getting the truck, just replaced them last week due to the aluminium corroding to the point of falling off the brackets. After market do not use the rivenut setup (or at least the ones I got don't). Real pain in the **** to remove one rivenut per bracket to install the new ones. Hopefully the new polished stainless steel ones last longer than 6 years.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:09 PM
moze229
Rookie

Originally Posted by finc.jb
I had the Mopar ones since a week after getting the truck, just replaced them last week due to the aluminium corroding to the point of falling off the brackets. After market do not use the rivenut setup (or at least the ones I got don't). Real pain in the **** to remove one rivenut per bracket to install the new ones. Hopefully the new polished stainless steel ones last longer than 6 years.
Just out of curiosity, how do yours mount? I always wondered if the aftermarket ones mounted using the rivnuts or some other method. I realize what they were trying to do with this rivnut setup, but it's not really all that great. I think the newer ones are a lot better, but only time will tell if they hold out. Rivnuts aren't really a good idea when they are being used to distribute weight. If they want to use a universal mounting system, they ought to weld some brackets that come out from the frame that you can attach the step bars onto.

I finally got mine. Instead of the chrome cab length deals, I decided to go with the Mopar wheel to wheel polished stainless. I like them. They match the sport wheels that I just recently swapped for my plasti-chomes. Mopar's polished stainless bars aren't really all that much different than the chrome, but you can tell the difference.

Last edited by moze229; 08-28-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:03 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought and installed the Westin Pro Traxx 4 s on mine and they use the same rivet nut setup on the body. I felt they wouldnt be so strong but so far they have been solid.

https://goo.gl/photos/jr4ehonQsep777X16

Quick Reply: Mopar step side mounting