4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Would adding air suspension help???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 04:47 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

while it may solve the sag issue problem, it does not solve the weight distribution problem.

Take your truck with the trailer hooked up to the scales and see how much weight you have on your axles. This is the only way to know if your are putting too much stress on the truck axle and tires.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:24 PM
tabacinski1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did we kill our Dodge - well, it started at the end of July, 2012. The truck was bucking and shaking so bad we thought the engine would fall out. Took it to the dealership, and it ran perfectly. Dealer wouldn't look at it because there was no engine light on. On the way home the bucking started again and engine light came on. Dealer now said that the turbo was completely clogged. Dealer "cleaned" it. Truck ran great. Exactly 1 year later to the day (2013), the same thing happened. Dealer "cleaned" it. Almost exactly to the day in 2014 the exact same thing happened. This time it cost us almost $700. The local Cumins shop said that these cleanings were only bandaid fixes by the dealer, and we should probably have been offered a new turbo 3 years ago when we were under warranty. This July (2015) the same thing happened, only this time the dealer told us that not only was the turbo completely clogged but the entire emission system was filled. We asked how this could be since we never got a regeneration notice on our console. The dealer said that it was too far gone to regenerate. Bottom line was that we were told that the entire emission system and turbo needed to be replaced. This was going to cost approximately $3000 dollars. We were also told that replacing the system did not mean that the root cause of this repeated problem was fixed. We were told that they would need to determine what was causing the problem and this would cost additional monies at almost $100/hour labor. After reading info on the internet about this Dodge and talking again to our Cummins dealer, we concluded that this was a design flaw in this particular Dodge. We also needed 6 new tires. This Dodge also was modified to suit our needs when we fulltime RVed, and it had no tailgate. no backseat and no rear seat belts or rear window motor. Would have been a difficult Dodge to sell. We decided that getting rid of it was our best option.
That is how our Dodge died. PS: We repeatedly asked the service people what we could do to keep the turbo from clogging. We were told to run the truck with the exhaust brake on, make sure we took the truck for a high speed 30 minute drive every week and to make sure we let the turbo cool after driving. We did all of these things and it did not help. What would you have done?)

Old 08-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Not second guessing since I've known more than a few folks with issues with their late model pre DEF models.

I may have taken the truck to an independent shop and maybe gotten the repair cost down (new turbo and exhaust). The tires are just maintenance to me so I don't consider them in the equation. I'm not familiar at all with these engines and most of the problems I've heard of are related to the HP fuel injection system - $8K to fix.

I'm surprised you stuck with dodge though. Good luck!!

Old 08-16-2015, 08:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I would have deleted it myself for about $2000 total and driven it till the body fell apart around the Cummins, if it were mine.

Thank your government for making diesel truck makers rush product to market to meet emissions. That's why the 6.0, 6.4 & 2011-2013 6.7 Powerstrokes, LLY, LOL & LMM Duramax and '07.5 - '10 6.7 Cummins all suffered from varying degrees of failure. Luckily, unlike the Fords and GMs, the Cummins doesn't need major work to make reliable. Just a simple delete.

BTW, I agree cleaning the grid, intake and turbo is a band aid, but so is replacing the turbo. Would have gotten you a couple years, but due to the EGR it would have caked up too.

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
Not second guessing since I've known more than a few folks with issues with their late model pre DEF models.

I may have taken the truck to an independent shop and maybe gotten the repair cost down (new turbo and exhaust). The tires are just maintenance to me so I don't consider them in the equation. I'm not familiar at all with these engines and most of the problems I've heard of are related to the HP fuel injection system - $8K to fix.

I'm surprised you stuck with dodge though. Good luck!!
Actually, the Cummins CP3 is very reliable. It's the CP4 that's found in the GM/Ford diesels that have the bad rep. Not to mention Furds stance not to warranty repair their HPFP systems, always citing "bad fuel" even when a fuel sensor has never registered bad fuel at the filter.

If you get a CEL on a 6.7 Cummins, it's almost always emissions related, just like the OP experienced. Lots of people had/continue to have the same problem with the EGR coating the turbo. Nothing an EGR delete and cooler bypass won't permanently cure. A lot of "over the road" drivers keep their exhaust brake on and it keeps the turbo & grid heater at the intake clean enough not to have problems, but those short haul people really have no choice but to delete or at least ditch the EGR on the pre-DEF trucks, although I hear the 2011 & 2012 pre-DEFs aren't nearly as bad as the first 6.7s...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-16-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:19 PM
tabacinski1

I would like to thank everyone that wrote in to help me with my trailer set up problem. We just came back from our first camping trip with the new Ram 1500 and everything went just fine. We had the air suspension put in and inflated the bags about 3/4 of capacity. We lowered the hitch ball and reset the trunnions. The trailer was completely level and towed just great (although I will say that the 3500 was a great tow vehicle when we had the big 5th wheel). Thanks again.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tabacinski1
. We lowered the hitch ball and reset the trunnions. The trailer was completely level and towed just great
I'm glad you got it right. As counter intuitive as it seems, it works. I think many people make the same mistake.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:14 AM
kayakman
Veteran

I love my Timbrens SES suspension --Timbren vs. Air Bags: Which is Better?

http://prntscr.com/8cinb2

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/timbren-vs-air-bags

Quick Reply: Would adding air suspension help???