4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can we read the check engine codes without a code scanner on a 2012 Ram 2500?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:10 PM
TrailBlogger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some good news. Took my truck to another dealership yesterday and they immediately said it sounded like an exhaust leak the moment I showed them.

One of their mechanics had it in their shop today for a closer inspection and said it has a warped driver side exhaust manifold for sure. They got the new driver side manifold on order and said they should have it fixed by tomorrow.

What a difference! Wishing I had taken it to them in the first place now.

Now I am just hoping the passenger side the other dealership repaired holds up because even though they replaced the whole head and studs they reused the old manifold on that side.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:37 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm happy to hear this new dealership is getting to the bottom of things quickly for you! For future reference, one thing I always like to recommend is to request that you drive with or are at least able to show your dealership your concern, that way you can specifically point out what you're experiencing.

Definitely let us know how everything is running after your repairs are complete at the new dealership.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:14 PM
TrailBlogger

Well I gave up and traded the 2012 Ram 2500 in on a different truck. I liked the Ram but that particular truck just had too many issues for me to deal with considering what I had paid for it.

The second dealership did replace the driver side manifold. The knock went away when I started it up cold but when I drove it anywhere I honestly still heard the exact same exhaust leak I have heard all along hissing away. It was especially noticeable lugging it under load like up a steep hill in second gear. So perhaps it was also leaking further down the exhaust like at the connecting flange or something but who knows...

Between the exhaust leaks, bad brakes, and the rusted hitch mount in the bed I decided I just wanted that truck gone. I could have taken it back to the second dealer and had them look for another leak again, done the brakes myself for a couple of hundred in parts so they would stop squeeling all the time, then removed the rusted bed hitch mount myself and replaced the bedliner but I just don't have time for all that right now between my job and rebuilding our new old house.

Jack, I agree in the future I will try to take a ride with the mechanic or service manager who is performing the repair so we can listen together but it was just not possible for me with the first dealer since they were an hour away and I was having my fiance drive it down there for me each time. They are closed on the weekends and after 5:30pm when I get off work.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:15 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by TrailBlogger
Well I gave up and traded the 2012 Ram 2500 in on a different truck. I liked the Ram but that particular truck just had too many issues for me to deal with considering what I had paid for it.

The second dealership did replace the driver side manifold. The knock went away when I started it up cold but when I drove it anywhere I honestly still heard the exact same exhaust leak I have heard all along hissing away. It was especially noticeable lugging it under load like up a steep hill in second gear. So perhaps it was also leaking further down the exhaust like at the connecting flange or something but who knows...

Between the exhaust leaks, bad brakes, and the rusted hitch mount in the bed I decided I just wanted that truck gone. I could have taken it back to the second dealer and had them look for another leak again, done the brakes myself for a couple of hundred in parts so they would stop squeeling all the time, then removed the rusted bed hitch mount myself and replaced the bedliner but I just don't have time for all that right now between my job and rebuilding our new old house.

Jack, I agree in the future I will try to take a ride with the mechanic or service manager who is performing the repair so we can listen together but it was just not possible for me with the first dealer since they were an hour away and I was having my fiance drive it down there for me each time. They are closed on the weekends and after 5:30pm when I get off work.
I'm sorry to hear this!

For my own curiosity, did you trade it in for another Ram?

Old 10-13-2015, 08:08 PM
TrailBlogger

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
I'm sorry to hear this!

For my own curiosity, did you trade it in for another Ram?
No, I bought a truck made by a different manufacturer but I would buy a Ram again. I would not buy from the first dealer ever again or a truck that was previously a rental/fleet vehicle (which this one was).

Old 10-14-2015, 10:38 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by TrailBlogger
No, I bought a truck made by a different manufacturer but I would buy a Ram again. I would not buy from the first dealer ever again or a truck that was previously a rental/fleet vehicle (which this one was).
Thanks for your feedback! Sorry that this situation had to end with a trade-in, but hoping you are satisfied with your new truck!

Old 10-19-2015, 12:22 AM
Erik P
Rookie

is it a whirling type noise that becomes more obvious under load? can you hear it parked? i know you traded it in, but I'm curious.

Quick Reply: Can we read the check engine codes without a code scanner on a 2012 Ram 2500?