4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can we read the check engine codes without a code scanner on a 2012 Ram 2500?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 04:24 PM
TrailBlogger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can we read the check engine codes without a code scanner on a 2012 Ram 2500?

So I just bought a used 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 (2WD, Auto, 5.7L) from a local Dodge dealer the day before yesterday. I had the truck home for ONE DAY and the check engine light came on. Just took a casual drive to pickup a pizza last night and when I got back in to drive home with my pizza I noticed my check engine light was on.

The truck is at 75,000 miles and shows a little over 2000 hours on the engine. It did not seem to be running weird or anything on the ride home. Oil looks like new and air filter looked new as well. Checked my radiator fluid and I saw some chunks of gel in the cap area so wondering if a coolant line might have gotten clogged up or fluid just needs to be changed. Could that throw a code?

I had seen before on the older Dodges that you can check your engine codes using the console in the cab with no scanner/code reader thing. Is that possible on the newer trucks like my 2012. Any suggestions? I am all ears here. I love the truck but this is pretty concerning to have it throw a code the very first day.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:15 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Not sure but you can take it to any auto parts store and they will read it for free. You should buy yourself a code reader. You can get them for less than $20 off amazon. Will be the best tool in your toolbox.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just pick up a cheap code reader. Used to use my tuner on my previous trucks/jeeps but now I'm running a stock CTD. Sold the tuner, bought an Autel Maxiscan off Amazon for under $20 to the door. Keep it in the glovebox to read and clear codes...

Old 08-12-2015, 09:43 PM
TrailBlogger

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Not sure but you can take it to any auto parts store and they will read it for free. You should buy yourself a code reader. You can get them for less than $20 off amazon. Will be the best tool in your toolbox.
Thanks!

Old 08-12-2015, 09:43 PM
TrailBlogger

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Just pick up a cheap code reader. Used to use my tuner on my previous trucks/jeeps but now I'm running a stock CTD. Sold the tuner, bought an Autel Maxiscan off Amazon for under $20 to the door. Keep it in the glovebox to read and clear codes...
Thanks!

Old 08-12-2015, 09:47 PM
TrailBlogger

So the dealer just let me know they have it fixed. Said it was a clogged sensor in the fuel system and it should be all fine now. Glad to hear i am getting it back right away. Just hope this fix is a good long lasting one. Will buy a reader next time it happens. Thanks guys.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:56 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Order the code reader now so the next time you get a CEL you'll know right away. Some CELs you can live with, some you need to stop driving to avoid a larger, costly problem. If you can't read the code you won't know.

It's also cheap insurance from getting scammed. Example: Being told you need new Cats at the tune of about $1200 parts and labor when the problem is a $30 sensor...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-13-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:53 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TrailBlogger
So the dealer just let me know they have it fixed. Said it was a clogged sensor in the fuel system and it should be all fine now. Glad to hear i am getting it back right away. Just hope this fix is a good long lasting one. Will buy a reader next time it happens. Thanks guys.
Thanks for following through with an update! I'm happy to hear they got it taken care of quickly for you.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:02 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Order the code reader now so the next time you get a CEL you'll know right away. Some CELs you can live with, some you need to stop driving to avoid a larger, costly problem. If you can't read the code you won't know.

It's also cheap insurance from getting scammed. Example: Being told you need new Cats at the tune of about $1200 parts and labor when the problem is a $30 sensor...

Yup, this is what I use along with an app on my phone:

Amazon.com : Professional Diagnostic Tool OBD2 OBD-II ELM327 ELM 327 V1.5 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner Works On Android : Automotive Electronic Security Products : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Professional Diagnostic Tool OBD2 OBD-II ELM327 ELM 327 V1.5 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner Works On Android : Automotive Electronic Security Products : Car Electronics

App for phone, laptops, etc
http://www.obdautodoctor.com/

Old 08-26-2015, 02:11 PM
TrailBlogger

Thank you. I will check that out.

Quick Reply: Can we read the check engine codes without a code scanner on a 2012 Ram 2500?