4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question for any Dodge Ram Cert Tech/Side Mirrors

Old 09-18-2015, 08:22 PM
FireFighter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for any Dodge Ram Cert Tech/Side Mirrors

Picking up my new 2105 1500 Big Horn tomorrow morning.

One option on the vehicle they installed was the trailer tow mirrors which replaced the BH package heated mirrors and auto-dimming mirrors. I asked the dealer if these could be swapped out to the regular package mirrors. He said he asked the service techs and they stated that it would be a major ordeal.

I want those and not the tow mirrors. How big of an ordeal would this really be? I just don't see it but wanted to inquire with someone in the know.

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2015, 09:48 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a 2009 it takes about 15 minutes a side to swap the mirrors. I went from the non tow heated mirrors to the towing heated mirrors. Only issue might be if the towing mirrors are not heated and they have to go into the computer to turn that on.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:23 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldjeep
On a 2009 it takes about 15 minutes a side to swap the mirrors. I went from the non tow heated mirrors to the towing heated mirrors. Only issue might be if the towing mirrors are not heated and they have to go into the computer to turn that on.
I think as long as you have the Rear Defroster button, Heated mirrors are "On"
but you might need a new wiring harness for the door, Sometimes they dont put the wiring in if you dont have it. But it usually is to the connector just inside the cab. But they might do it now, since all come with power locks/windows.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I haven't done a Mopar to Mopar swap, but I've removed a set of stock sport mirrors and replaced them with a set of aftermarket tow mirrors and it took about 30 mins a side on a 2013. All the features are on the harness, so even if going to mirrors with more features it shouldn't be a problem.

I have the Big Horn sport mirrors with turn signal & puddle lamp LED and power fold and really like them EXCEPT when I tow an enclosed trailer or backing down a steep ramp. They are useless in those situations and I plan on going to tow mirrors.

Only two problems:
1) I'm spoiled by the puddle lamps and power fold. Only the Mopar 2015s have all my sport's features in a Power Tow and they are not available thru parts dept. yet.

2) My parts guy says they will be $1200+ when they are!!!

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-19-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As others have mentioned, if you are a little mechanically inclined is very easy to do. If the dealer is a jerk about it, you can always finds someone to swap with. Folks are always looking for a set of towing mirrors and they are expensive. The only issue is the downtime if you have to ship them.

I went through the same thing as you, I hated the tow mirrors so I sold mine on the internet. Cost for shipping was about $70 cross country as the tow mirrors are huge when packaged in a box.

I use a clip on when I tow and prefer that to having the "big ears" everyday.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:20 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Thanks guys, yeah dealer wasn't too enthused on swapping, went ahead and picked up the truck yesterday.

These tow mirrors have the power fold, puddle lamp LED and heated as well. I really do like the puddle LED's, that I am sold on and I love the single or dual power fold.

Only thing I don't like are the big ears...guess I will get used to them.

Build date on this truck was just 7.25.15, got me a fresh one!

Old 09-20-2015, 09:22 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Hammer... $1200!? Holy crap

Old 09-20-2015, 11:33 PM
Pull Ya
Professional

I swapped my tow mirrors for the standard mirrors on my 13, however if your looking for info from a Cert Tech that ain't me. Maybe one of them will chime in about the swap and what to do to insure all the functions will work properly.
Jay

Old 09-21-2015, 07:05 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FireFighter
Hammer... $1200!? Holy crap
Yep. Parts is getting stupid crazy. Is a guy on another forum, had the molded plastic lid on his center console scratched up pretty bad by his dog. Inquired from dealer what a replacement lid would cost and was told $495. This isn't even the Laramie, leather lid but just the molded plastic one.

Made me think about ordering a $25 terry velour or $35 neoprene cover to put on mine...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for any Dodge Ram Cert Tech/Side Mirrors