4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removal of heater box

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:34 PM
mopar204
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of heater box

I have started taking my dash apart today and what a nightmare its been. Finally got it off and now having the problem with taking the heater box out to get to the blend door actuator behind the box. I figured id ask you guys instead of getting extremely frustrated like i have been all day. If you guys could help with pictures or maybe a video that would be awesome

Attached Thumbnails Removal of heater box-image.jpg  
Old 10-26-2015, 10:07 AM
biggcrisp
Rookie

subscribed

Old 10-26-2015, 10:19 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOTE: The HVAC housing must be removed from the vehicle for service of the A/C evaporator, heater core, mode-air and blend-air doors and air inlet housing.

1.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
2.Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Plumbing - Standard Procedure) .
3.Drain the engine cooling system (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure) .
4.Disconnect the A/C liquid line and the A/C suction line from the A/C expansion valve(Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Plumbing/LINE, A/C Liquid - Removal) .
5.Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.
6.If required, remove the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to gain access to the two nuts (2) that secure the HVAC housing to the engine compartment side of the dash panel (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Powertrain Control - Removal) .
7.Remove the two nuts from the studs (1) that secure the HVAC housing to the engine compartment side of the dash panel.

8.If equipped with center floor console, remove the floor console duct (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Distribution/DUCT, Floor Console - Removal) .
9.Remove the instrument panel from the passenger compartment (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/PANEL, Instrument - Removal) .
10.If equipped, remove the rear floor ducts (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Distribution/REAR FLOOR HEAT DUCT - Removal) .
11.Remove the bolt (3) that secures the HVAC housing (2) to the floor bracket.
12.Remove the two nuts (1) that secure the HVAC housing to the passenger compartment side of the dash panel.
13.Pull the HVAC housing assembly rearward and remove the housing assembly from the passenger compartment.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:53 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mopar204
I have started taking my dash apart today and what a nightmare its been. Finally got it off and now having the problem with taking the heater box out to get to the blend door actuator behind the box. I figured id ask you guys instead of getting extremely frustrated like i have been all day. If you guys could help with pictures or maybe a video that would be awesome
You're doing something that very, very few of us would even contemplate. You're trailblazing and as such I suspect that there are limited pics (save for a SM) and vids available to guide you along. Wish you success in this endeavor.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:12 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dude... no one goes there... some stuff is better off down at the dealer! haha.. best of luck! take many pics cause I'm sure you're the first on here to do this on a 4th gen

Old 11-29-2018, 08:33 AM
Nancy Mcdaniel
Default Confused

I know this thread is old but just wondering what you ended up doing? I just tore my dodge apart last night and the blend door actuator is located right behind the ***** to turn the heater or ac on and off I think it’s called the bezel or something like that. Not sure why you took the whole thing out. There is actually two of them side by side in mine. It didn’t solve my problem or not getting hot air to blow or stop the sqeeking sound when I move it from hot to cold. Not to be confused with a clicking sound most people seem to be hearing. Just wondering what you ended up doing with it all. Maybe whatever you figured out will help me.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:25 AM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy cow....the guy missed the mark by a football field. The whole dash comes away from the firewall as a unit....you don't tear it into pieces like he did. There are excellent videos on youtube on how to do it.
Mike Sal

Old 11-29-2018, 10:54 AM
Nancy Mcdaniel

That’s good to know he didn’t even have to do that just to get to the blend door

I take back what I said I didn’t know there was five actuators fml! I bet the one that’s busted on mine is the fifth one behind the box

Last edited by Nancy Mcdaniel; 12-04-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:37 AM
Dob Bole

you're right, i saw a few good videos on you tube. the job itself is a lot of work but very doable. i have a second Gen. and fourth Gen. and would have no issues tearing into the dash as needed. so far have not had the need.

Originally Posted by Mike Sal
Holy cow....the guy missed the mark by a football field. The whole dash comes away from the firewall as a unit....you don't tear it into pieces like he did. There are excellent videos on youtube on how to do it.
Mike Sal

Old 12-04-2018, 01:49 PM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually think taking the 4th Gen Dash out was easier than the 2nd Gen (yes, I've had the pleasure to do both....). And by "out", I just mean pulling it back enough to access the heater box. The good thing about the 2nd Gen is that you can replace the heater core without discharging the AC. Not so with 4th Gen.

Quick Reply: Removal of heater box