4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2012 Ram radio ignition power wire

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 04:47 PM
rhutson
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Ram radio ignition power wire

My 2012 Ram aftermarket harness has a separate fused ignition wire that I need to connect somewhere? This Ram doesn't have a cigarette lighter but it does have 2, 12 volt power ports that only have power when key is on, would this be okay to use for a radio? Also, the factory res radio has the ign power wire in the harness, I thought about putting a T connector to that wire. I don't understand why the new harness makes you run a separate ignition power sorce, seems like it should have been in the harness plug?

Rhutson

Old 01-19-2016, 06:54 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is the link for the wiring diagrams to your truck. I just looked at them and the stock radio in your truck used a 30A fuse for 12VDC (not ignition switched). My guess is that your new radio uses at least as much juice.

The console power outlets use a 20A fuse, ignition switched 12VDC, not enough to use on the radio

https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extr...ew/classic.htm

You could use the power outlet to drive a relay to carry 12VDC straight from the battery

Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I replaced my sub with an aftermarket one and an amp I tapped into the +12V wire for the power receptacle in the console, which is switched. On a 2010 this wire runs from a harness under the driver's seat into the bottom of the console, so my tap is under the driver's seat. I'll see if I can find the wire color for you...

ETA: Can't see very well under the seat. Looks like it may be a gray wire with red stripe. I'd have to unplug the connector and pull it out to be sure and it's way too cold here to mess with plastic connectors if I don't have to. I found the info online so it should be out there somewhere.

Rob

Last edited by BigBlueEdge; 01-20-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:08 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Old 01-20-2016, 02:49 PM
rhutson
Amateur

Ok, the yellow wire in the harness is twice the size of the switched power red wire they supplied and that red wire has an inline 3 amp fuse so I'm thinking it is just turning on a relay inside the radio and the actual power that the radio uses is running through that yellow wire cause there ain't no way that bigger wire is just for the clock and memory. The radio is a Jensen vx7022 and it has a really good set up and GPS is the best.

rhutson in NC

Old 01-20-2016, 04:07 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rhutson
Ok, the yellow wire in the harness is twice the size of the switched power red wire they supplied and that red wire has an inline 3 amp fuse so I'm thinking it is just turning on a relay inside the radio and the actual power that the radio uses is running through that yellow wire cause there ain't no way that bigger wire is just for the clock and memory. The radio is a Jensen vx7022 and it has a really good set up and GPS is the best.

rhutson in NC
sounds right, just be careful with the wire colors of the truck, there may be a change from BigBlueEdge's 2010 model to your 2012. Best to verify the color by looking at the schematics via the link I provided

Old 01-21-2016, 10:12 AM
rhutson
Amateur

The harness I bought is for a 2012 and it is color to color plus I looked at the harness on the oem radio and it matches up. Now I just need to take a rasp or something and widen the opening a little bit to get this double din to fit, I already cut out the metal bracket in back so I should be able to finish this up Saturday. FYI, if you need the butt connectors, I found them at harbor freight for $1.99 for a pack of 10 and they are heat shrink to boot.

Thanks for the help, rhutson

Old 01-21-2016, 04:45 PM
rhutson
Amateur

Ok, I got it all done BUT I ended up getting a different harness that didn't require any extra wire taps and it had all the features for future upgrades plus it supports about everything a vehicle might have. The harness is an Axxess XSVI-6522-NAV Wiring Interface. Here is a pic of finished product and just a note, I had to cut out the plastic piece the screws go into from the top that attach to the outer radio bezel but was able to retain one screw hole but that bezel snap on clips pretty firm, it ain't going anywhere and I must say this vx7022 stereo is NICE. Especially for less than $370 including parts and the harness!

Attached Thumbnails 2012 Ram radio ignition power wire-image.jpeg  
Old 01-22-2016, 10:57 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Great! Post a walkthrough of what you had to do to install it. I'm sure many people would be interested in things like how to disassemble the dash, pull the old radio, connect the harness, etc.

Do you still have steering wheel control of the audio? How about backup camera integration?

Rob

Old 01-22-2016, 11:06 AM
rhutson
Amateur

My truck didn't have any steering wheel controls although I can add them if I want. As far as installing this, there are some good posts showing what to do but it is straight forward, just know that a double din will NOT FIT without cutting the sub dash opening bigger and there is a metal bracket in back that gets cut out. Also this unit does support a backup camera and I have it but with all the bad weather I will install it at a later date.

rshutson

Quick Reply: 2012 Ram radio ignition power wire