4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Am I Entitled To A Diagnostic Fee Refund?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017 | 10:04 PM
dstone84
|
Default Am I Entitled To A Diagnostic Fee Refund?

Hello all, I am hoping to get a quick opinion on something. I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi with about 77,000 miles on it. Last month the check engine light came on and the engine was running pretty rough. When scanned 3 main codes came back.

P0014 - "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor A)

P000B - “B” Camshaft Position Slow Response

I took the truck to the dealership where they told me it was the timing chain. They told me it would be about about $1,200 to replace. However before spending that kind of money I wanted to get another opinion. I took my truck without them replacing the timing chain and they charged me a $175 diagnostic fee.

I took the truck to another reputable mechanic where they told me the timing chain does not need to replaced. They said my issues was 1 bad VVT Solenoid and 2 bad MDS Solenoids. I had them complete the repairs which cost me about $600.

I have been driving the truck for the past few weeks and am no longer having any issues. I even took it on a short road trip of about 1,000 miles and everything was fine. So it seems like the timing chain did not need to be replaced.

I have 2 questions I am hoping you all can help me with.

1. Do you think the dealership made an honest mistake where
a bad timing chain and bad solenoids share the same symptoms? Or do you think it was more likely they were trying to pull a fast one on me by suggesting an unnecessary expensive repair?

2. Do you think I should be entitled to a refund of $175 for the bad diagnostic that the dealership performed?

Thanks!!!

Old 01-02-2017 | 11:08 PM
primem
Record Breaker

no one diagnosis a car wrong on purpose...the tech looks stupid in the end and then he/she must find and fix the real fault with no additional time...ie for free.
Its not an easy job, no one knows everything. Sometimes you diagnosis a system you have never seen before and are learning the specifics of system operation on the spot. Again, no one knows every system for every make and model. that being said, a good shop will admit there fault, find the true fault and fix it on their dime.

Have the discussion with the service manager, not the service writer as they can't authorize anything. Have the discussion face to face and bring in all the paperwork. Ask for his help resolving this, do not be rude or he/she will do nothing for you. take it to the owner if necessary.

Old 01-03-2017 | 09:51 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech

Yes, they should. Only thing I would have done different though would be do ALL the MDS solenoids and that short wiring harness that goes to them, while it's apart. Also pay attention to what oil you use in the future. It may have contributed to the failures.