4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:38 PM
Ggariepy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant

Just had a call from my dealer saying that the cooling antifreeze in my ram 2013 is contaminized and damage was done to the engine. They asked if I added coolant, which I did not. They say that the wrong coolant was used, not compatible with the original, and that a "gel" had form in the radiator. As I can see in different forums, there has been issues with hoses and radiators having a chimical reaction with the coolant which results in gel forming. Please help.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:40 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

If the engine is damaged, not much we can do for you. Maybe get a second opinion?

Old 03-13-2017, 06:31 PM
Ggariepy

Not sure about the engine damage yet, I will definitly get a second opinion. Everything was running fine until I brought the truck in for oil change, except for the coolant strange odour. Service manager will investigate, since they were the last to check and add coolant on sept 21 2016. I did 7000 km since that date, no problems, no overheating.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:47 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

What damage did they say was done?

Old 03-13-2017, 08:27 PM
Ggariepy

Not sure yet. They said the engine could be all "plugged". What do they mean bu plugged? I told them to flush the hole thing and put new antifreeze but they said it would not work....so I will wait for them to call back tomorrow and go from there. 115000 km with the vehicule without any trouble and now this. Incredible. I expect a very long fight with the dealer and Chrysler....

Old 03-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Ggariepy

Problem fixed. I got the system flush and refill by radiator experts and everything is ok. No damage was done to the engine. Car dealers are car dealers, not experts. The expert said to flush and refill every three years, what ever fluid the manufacturers recommend, specially if you haul often with your truck. End of story.

Quick Reply: Coolant