4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Driveline shudder or vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:48 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

what trans do you have? the newer 8 speeds...t/c shudder is rare...they don't pwm it like on the older trans...it fully locks up and uses the gearing of the trans for torque multiplication. What rpm or % of torque slip was the guy seeing.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Hamrick1024
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 8 speed and believe Michael does as well. From what I feel it just doesn't seem to be in the trans of tc. It has to much of a pattern when it does it almost like a coil pack, speed sensor or tps. Something electronically controlled or monitored. Something may be sending an incorrect reading that controls the trans but i do not feel it is mechanical.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:55 AM
Michael Hancock

Hemrick, you are correct. I have the 8 spd as well. And, like you I started thinking about the possibility of this being some form of engine issue. I changed my plugs at about 100 grand, so I thought maybe there was a coil pack loose or something. Checked, and didn't find anything. Not throwing any codes or anything else either. Then I saw this transmission guy, and he showed me that the computer was picking up some slippage during the shuddering. Not cool. Of course, it was only at low rpm, so I could combat the issue by keeping the tow/haul feature on (which changes the shift points), or manually controlling the shifts, but I'm looking for root cause. Which leads me back to my first visit with the dealership. They said that they checked the fluid, and that it perfectly full, and that it looked great. Also said that my driveshaft was bad. ZERO thoughts on why they thought that (U joints, carrier bearing, slip yoke, etc...). In hindsight, it didn't sound right. So this morning, I decided to check the fluid myself, and found that I was almost 1/2 quart low. And it didn't look 'great'. I topped it off with recommended Mopar fluid and added a bit of 'Shudder Fixx' per a recommendation from my transmission guy. Results? No more shudder. I have a slight vibration at all speeds, which could be a tire (all tires are new though?). Anyway, I'm continuing to monitor, and I'll keep giving updates as they come in.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to put it all out there.

The following users liked this post:
Justin Tegge (01-23-2021)
Old 08-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Hamrick1024

Well I took my truck in today to the dealership to let them look ok at it. They told me there is something going on internally with the transmission. They gave me an option to tear it down and determine what repair is needed or replace it with a reman. The reman option will be 4,500 and the repair option would be a little less but unknown until the tear down is complete. I am not disputing that there is something wrong internally but when I asked about changing the fluid and filter just to see what happens the service writer said that it could cause more damange. That is where I called bull****. Say there is clutch material in the fluid due to early disc failure. The material in the fluid would affect the entire trans and getting fresh fluid in could help the performance. I am going to pickup the truck and take it for a second opinion. I am also going to take a transmission oil sample and send it in for analysis. I am also going to a transmission shop and ask about changing the fluid. More to come.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:53 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hamrick1024
...but when I asked about changing the fluid and filter just to see what happens the service writer said that it could cause more damange. That is where I called bull****. Say there is clutch material in the fluid due to early disc failure.
I've heard this can be the case when performing a transmission fluid FLUSH, but haven't heard this concern with a simple fluid drain, filter change, and refill. The drain and refill generally doesn't actually change out enough fluid to cause a drastic drop in fluid friction.

Chrysler transmissions used to have something called a Clutch Volume Index (CVI) that professional scan tools could read out and it gave a hint at the remaining life of the clutches. With the 8-speed that I think is more Daimler-derived, is that parameter still available? It might give an idea whether changing the fluid a couple of times might make things worse.

-Rod

Old 08-10-2017, 08:40 AM
Michael Hancock

I've often heard of transmission drain and refills turning transmissions into paperweights. Never went through it myself though. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'll drive it till it quits, and put another tranny in it. Still, it pisses me off though. I bought it new, and kept up with EVERY maintenance, with the best fluids and materials, figuring it would last a good while. The truck is only 3 years old, with 140,000 highway miles. The one thing that I COULDN'T service, went bad. Figures.
To recap, I've had the following issues (truck wide)

Drivers side exhaust manifold bolts @ 102,000 miles
Passenger side exhaust manifold bolts @ 104,300 miles
Bad EGR valve @ 107,000
Front sensors no longer work @ 130,000
8.4 Uconnect radio system gives errors, won't hold time, and loses telephone service @ 101,000 miles
Bad fuel cap @ 132,000 miles
Rear rotors warped @ 56,000

Oh, and a slipping torque converter @ 127,000

I understand something going wrong here or there, but damn, the truck looks brand new, inside and out.

Looking forward to hearing what happens with your truck...

Old 08-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Hamrick1024

Reading the issues you have had with your Ram are almost exactly the same that I've had. My front bumper sensors still work but my lights will not turn off unless they are in auto. Truck has 152K. Dropping it off at a transmission shop next Tuesday to see what he says. This is my 5th Chrysler vehicle, 4th truck in 15 years. I have been a huge fan of Dodge trucks. I called Chrysler and laid out my case for some help/goodwill to repair the truck. No luck. Not even the tiniest bit of consideration for help. I have 5 months till I trade and it may be an overpriced Silverado.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Hamrick1024

Got the news from the transmission shop that it is a TC. He hooked the scanner up and we drove around for about an hour. He checked everything he could on the engine and trans. He thinks the TC is loosing pressure and the shudder or surge I feel is the trans trying to correct the pressure lose. I went ahead and had the trans fluid and filter changed just so I could eliminate that question and it did not help at all. My options are to keep running it till it is time to trade or replace the TC. When it is cold it doesn't do it hardly at all so I may wait till winter and take it to a dealer to trade and hope they do not notice it. I'm at 157K miles

Old 09-10-2017, 03:23 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

I hear you guys. I'm a Mopar guy in and out (still am). I own many Mopar from 68-08 (08 is the highest I'll go after my new ram experience). Now I'm just an older Mopar guy. Bought a new (2016) 2500 PW, nothing but problems made the dealer give me my money back. Now my dad is a Mopar guy to, got the Mopar blood from him lol. He has a 06 hemi with over 650,000 miles. All my vehicles have over 250,000 except one ram with 150,000. All factory motors and trans. Won't buy a new Mopar at all.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:51 PM
Hamrick1024

Hancock I have a couple of questions. Is your Ram a 2014? Also when you are starting off is there a lot of engine noise? It sounds like a huge fan is under the hood. It goes away once you hit 35 or 40 mph. Mine sounds like a jet airplane is taking off and it has done it since I drove it off the lot. The salesman said it was normal for the Hemi and since it was my first one I had no reason not to believe him.