4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2009 Hemi - Wierd Noise and Hot? Vacation and NO MECHANICS AROUND..

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 04:10 PM
emericks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Hemi - Wierd Noise and Hot? Vacation and NO MECHANICS AROUND..

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to pick your brains on this... I am up on vacation, 4 hour drive in very cold temps. Truck seemed to be running great on the way up, pulled off the exit onto 40-50 mph roads and immediately noticed a sheering noise out of the ordinary noise that seemed to be worse when accelerating. Not the noise of constant grinding or a belt squeak but something weird off.

Fired the truck up this morning to notice it being very intermittent, drove the truck for 15 mins or so and noticed the temp climbing between the 1/2 and 3/4 mark then when stopped it dropping back down to the 1/2 way mark.

My initial thought was the clutch fan or maybe a pulley on the water pump? Is it possible for a water pump pulley to go without the water pump completely crapping out?

I read on here to spin the fan when the truck is hot and off and it should spin freely, it does. Its cooling down now and will try once is cool.

Is there anything else I should look at?

What I know for sure - not a wheel bearing as I have replaced those before and know the sound

Old 12-30-2017, 06:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Once it's cool enough, verify for your coolant level as well.

Quick Reply: 2009 Hemi - Wierd Noise and Hot? Vacation and NO MECHANICS AROUND..