4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC vents in dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AC vents in dash

One of the air conditioner vents in the dash of our newly aquired '09 ram has a slat out of place. When I got the truck, it was wedged between the horizontal slats and the vertical slats. I was able to fish the part out, but not sure the best way to get it back in. Can these vent units be removed? How about the main center section of the dash?
thanks,
Mike S

Attached Thumbnails AC vents in dash-vent-louvers.jpg  
Old 04-08-2018, 10:22 AM
bluebeast1562
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the vent however, the dash bezel is pretty easy to remove. Should be two screws on the top near the dash where the little storage compartment is. Remove those and gently pry the bezel away with plastic trim removal tools (Sold at most auto parts stores). Be careful to not yank on the bezel due to the number of electrical connectors.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:25 PM
Mike Sal
Professional

I found a youtube video & yes, there are 2 torx screws at the top, hidden under the floor plate of the small storage thing at the top. Pry the base off to find them. There is a 3rd screw also. You have to pry off the surround to the 115V outlet and the screw is behind it. The screws are #20 according to the video. I'll find out for sure in a few minutes.

The vents come off with the bezel, along with the heater controls. Hopefully I'll be able to fix it once I have it off in my hands.
Mike Sal

Old 04-08-2018, 07:27 PM
Mike Sal
Professional

Easy-Peasy.....fixed in less than 10 minutes. It takes a pretty good tug to get the bezel to pop loose after the 3 screws are removed....watching the video and my own experience gave concerns that the bezel could be broken....I wonder how well they will hold up after another 10 years of aging.

Once the bezel is off, there are 6 clips which hold the vent unit into the bezel. Once it's off, you can easily manipulate the slats to put them back where they belong.
Mike S

Attached Thumbnails AC vents in dash-hidden-screw.jpg   AC vents in dash-back-side-of-bezel.jpg   AC vents in dash-repaired-vent.jpg  

Quick Reply: AC vents in dash