4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What size oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:23 PM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What size oil filter?

What filters will fit my '09 5.7L? I've always run the longest filter which will physically fit on my engines. I worked in the test lab of an oil filter company years ago & learned that "more is better". I usually run a PH8A on my 5.9L engines. The filter on my Victory motorcycle is nearly 2 inches longer than the stock filter.
thanks,
Mike S

Old 04-10-2018, 09:18 PM
bluebeast1562
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Fram oil filters when I change my oil, have been using them for over 20 years, no complaints. Well, when I went to Wally World to pick up a filter, I noticed that they had both short and long filters for my 13. Bought the long one, never had a choice, got changing, low and behold the long one would not fit, had to go back and get the shorty, worked like a champ. Wally World took back the long one without complaint.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:21 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I second Fram. Some people say avoid them like the plague. I've been using Fram filters for 40 years on a multitude of vehicles, never had a problem. I don't get the "bigger is better" mentality, Use the filter that is designed for your vehicle and change it at the recommended intervals. No need to overthink things.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:53 PM
Mike Sal
Professional

Blue, did the longer filter not have enough room to fit? I did some looking & found that the PH8A will work if there's enough room to physically get it up in there to the engine.

When I worked at the filter company (Champion Labs), we made a lot of store brands. These days they make walmart, & STP among others. As the filter gets clogged up, it will eventually start to bypass so the oil doesn't get filtered at all. We had lots of test machines that would slowly add "calibrated dirt" until the filter finally bypassed. We would then test the oil to see how much dirt was in it. The better the filter paper, the less dirt would be still in the oil. The larger the filter, the more filter paper that's available to capture dirt

One thing people don't really appreciate is how often they should change their air filter. You're pulling nearly 1300 cubic feet of air thru that filter for every gallon of gas you burn....that's a lot of dirty air to be filtered. Factor in moist air during bad weather & paper elements can be very restricted. Since we had free access, we changed our filters once a week back in those days.
Mike S

Old 04-17-2018, 01:54 PM
Mike Sal
Professional

Oops, did some more homework & see that the O.E. filter is 22x1.5 mm thread & the old PH8A is English...3/4x16. I'll have to do more homework....

Quick Reply: What size oil filter?