4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2013 1500 Power Steering Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 11:15 AM
v65infla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 1500 Power Steering Failure

Newb here but not to these types of forums, hence I searched a lot but couldn't find what I was looking for so a little spoon feeding would be appreciated.

2013 1500 5.7L Single Cab, electric power steering failure. I have not had it tested or checked by anyone yet. Flashing red steering wheel with ! sign, idiot light, and obviously no power steering. Searching on the web doesn't yield a lot of info. Some basics I found are, new the part is around $1k but I found some remanufactured for around $200. A response to a video I saw on YT said the guy had a quote for $3k. I have the tools and I am a decent "shade tree" mechanic but by no means an expert. If I can do it myself, I understand a wheel alignment may be needed after. Is this a doable project myself? Any thoughts opinions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:29 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Unfortunately without a professional-grade scan tool to determine what the power steering system is reporting as the issue it's difficult to have much of an idea what is wrong and what it might take to fix it. Do you have access to such a tool so you can get an idea if your situation matches the videos you've watched?

I haven't been on this forum long enough to know yet if there is a common issue that causes the symptoms you describe.

Hmm, now I'm wondering why I even bothered replying.... I don't have much to offer on this topic.

-Rod

Last edited by SHO Rod; 07-16-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:33 AM
v65infla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
Unfortunately without a professional-grade scan tool to determine what the power steering system is reporting as the issue it's difficult to have much of an idea what is wrong and what it might take to fix it. Do you have access to such a tool so you can get an idea if your situation matches the videos you've watched?

I haven't been on this forum long enough to know yet if there is a common issue that causes the symptoms you describe.

Hmm, now I'm wondering why I even bothered replying.... I don't have much to offer on this topic.

-Rod
Thank you for the effort, sir!

Right after I posted, I got the bright idea to try and reset the circuit by disconnecting the battery, without much expectation of course. For how long I do not know but it worked!! (Fingers crossed)

Old 07-17-2018, 12:44 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting, hopefully it proves to be a long-term fix.

-Rod

Quick Reply: 2013 1500 Power Steering Failure