4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trailer brake controller question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 12:48 PM
scotch-irish
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer brake controller question

Hi all,

i installed the mopar factory trailer brake brake controller on my 2016 ram 1500 last night. While I’m looking for a dealer who will flash the ecu cheaply, will the trailer brakes still work? Just not display?

by the way, those three little bolts took 90minutes to tighten. Luckily my wife has small hands and could get the back one started for me.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:28 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scotch-irish
Hi all,

i installed the mopar factory trailer brake brake controller on my 2016 ram 1500 last night. While I’m looking for a dealer who will flash the ecu cheaply, will the trailer brakes still work? Just not display?

by the way, those three little bolts took 90minutes to tighten. Luckily my wife has small hands and could get the back one started for me.
That's correct, it should work just not display fully; however, some guys have claimed that it will partly show in your dash EVIC if you have the premium cluster. You can see this by adding the display under the screen settings by putting the trailer gain in one of you corners. You will lack the main trailer screen though. Hopefully that makes sense. I've heard the horror stories behind that bracket.