4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Losing oil.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 09:28 PM
wvmech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Sal
How many miles are on your engine?

I have my engine apart right now and while cleaning the heads, noticed there is an unusual amount of caked black oily residue in all of the intake ports and on the intake valves. Tonight I will be examining the intake manifold carefully to see if I can figure out where this is coming from. It appears to definitely be oil residue. I haven't owned the truck long enough to know what the oil consumption is (bought it at 89k and the lifter / cam went bad at 92k).

Anyone else notice this or have an explanation on how oil is finding it's way to the intake?
Mike Sal
86k miles on the engine, and I noticed on mine when I had the intake manifold off that I had an oily residue as well.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 PM
wvmech

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
As far as the OP, if the PCV is stuck semi open that may explain some oil loss. I have owned may vehicles throughout my life and never had or needed a catch can. There are some PCV designs that are worst than others so I guess a catch can may help some, I don't know. If at 92k miles you had some caked on oil residue, then maybe the previous owner was not using full synthetic oil and doing regular oil changes. I wouldn't worry about it.
I checked the PCV valve, it was free but I went ahead and replaced it anyway. no change though.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya, mine also rattles easily, but I ordered a new one also. I'm still struggling to understand why the crankcase would be so pressurized to put that much vapor into the manifold. I wonder if the MDS could be a contributor? I'm putting my motor back together with non-MDS parts. We'll see.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:24 PM
Piratepaulin

Originally Posted by wvmech
My 2011 1500 5.7L is losing oil and I don't know where. I'm putting in at least 4qts of conventional 5w20 every 2 or 3 hundred miles. When it first started losing oil it got so low it threw a camshaft position sensor fault that cleared when I added oil back. It will continuously lose oil until its empty if I don't keep it topped off. I've also replaced all of the MDS solenoids trying to get rid of that tick when it goes into eco, which hasn't helped. I haven't ever found where its leaking oil so does anyone have any ideas?
plenum gasket? What it sounds like to me.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:47 AM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 5.7 doesn't have a plenum gasket like the old 5.2 / 5.9 engines. I think wvmech's problems are bad rings. It probably got low on oil & overheated the rings which caused them to wear out. To use that much oil, it has to be going out the tail pipe. I can't believe he could be losing that much oil thru the PVC system or valve stem seals. He didn't mention any oil on the driveway, so assume there no leak (you did check to make sure it's not leaking around the oil filter?). A compression test should be able to confirm or deny bad rings.
Mike Sal

Old 12-31-2018, 09:36 AM
Piratepaulin

Originally Posted by Mike Sal
The 5.7 doesn't have a plenum gasket like the old 5.2 / 5.9 engines. I think wvmech's problems are bad rings. It probably got low on oil & overheated the rings which caused them to wear out. To use that much oil, it has to be going out the tail pipe. I can't believe he could be losing that much oil thru the PVC system or valve stem seals. He didn't mention any oil on the driveway, so assume there no leak (you did check to make sure it's not leaking around the oil filter?). A compression test should be able to confirm or deny bad rings.
Mike Sal
right, my bad. Intake gaskets then. ..or rings..

Quick Reply: Losing oil.