4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Losing oil.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 11:05 PM
wvmech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing oil.

My 2011 1500 5.7L is losing oil and I don't know where. I'm putting in at least 4qts of conventional 5w20 every 2 or 3 hundred miles. When it first started losing oil it got so low it threw a camshaft position sensor fault that cleared when I added oil back. It will continuously lose oil until its empty if I don't keep it topped off. I've also replaced all of the MDS solenoids trying to get rid of that tick when it goes into eco, which hasn't helped. I haven't ever found where its leaking oil so does anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-03-2018, 06:28 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if its not leaking its either burning it, or pushing it into the coolant, did you check the coolant for any contamination?

if your burning that much oil i would expect to see a cloud of smoke while running, and you will be destroying the cats.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles are on your engine?

I have my engine apart right now and while cleaning the heads, noticed there is an unusual amount of caked black oily residue in all of the intake ports and on the intake valves. Tonight I will be examining the intake manifold carefully to see if I can figure out where this is coming from. It appears to definitely be oil residue. I haven't owned the truck long enough to know what the oil consumption is (bought it at 89k and the lifter / cam went bad at 92k).

Anyone else notice this or have an explanation on how oil is finding it's way to the intake?
Mike Sal

Old 10-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PCV valve?

Old 10-05-2018, 04:07 PM
Mike Sal
Professional

I'm just now reading about these "catch cans" that some people are installing. Is this due to bad PCV valves or bad PCV engineering which allows excessive amount of oil vapor to get sucked into the manifold? It seems that some of these catch cans are a bit spendy.....I wonder what the best deal is.

As the catch can appears to be a bandaid, I wonder what the true fix is?
Mike Sal

Old 10-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

As far as the OP, if the PCV is stuck semi open that may explain some oil loss. I have owned may vehicles throughout my life and never had or needed a catch can. There are some PCV designs that are worst than others so I guess a catch can may help some, I don't know. If at 92k miles you had some caked on oil residue, then maybe the previous owner was not using full synthetic oil and doing regular oil changes. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Mike Sal
Professional

This truck spent most of it's life as a shop truck for a chrysler dealer. all Mopar service parts & oil until I got it.

I've had old clunkers years ago that had draft tubes instead of PCV valves. A common thing was to stick a hose on the end of the pipe to get the smoke further to the back rather than fuming around the engine.
Mike Sal

Old 10-05-2018, 06:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Does the 5.7 even HAVE a pcv "valve"?? I thought it was just a restricted port??

Friend of mine put a catch can on his hellcat. It collects a fair bit of oil, but, nothing on the scale of what the OP is going thru.

I would be doing a compression or leakdown test, and see what the numbers look like. I wouldn't expect them to be very good.......

Old 10-06-2018, 11:57 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Does the 5.7 even HAVE a pcv "valve"?? I thought it was just a restricted port??

Friend of mine put a catch can on his hellcat. It collects a fair bit of oil, but, nothing on the scale of what the OP is going thru.

I would be doing a compression or leakdown test, and see what the numbers look like. I wouldn't expect them to be very good.......
Yes, the PCV valve is a "twist off" type at the back of the engine on top. Easy to see with the cover removed. It does not have an EGR however. The EGR function is done by using the VVT function.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:26 PM
wvmech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the coolant and there's no contamination. It's not smoking at all. The only place I can find that its leaking is out of the PCV breather. Its all over the coil packs on the driver side where it has dripped off the breather. I pulled the coil packs off, and checked the spark plug gaskets and they were all good, so I think its only coming from the breather. I just wouldn't think it would leak that much because its only coated in oil residue, not dripping in oil.

Quick Reply: Losing oil.