4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011 Ram 5.7 Hemi Stall issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 07:51 PM
PattyGene
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Ram 5.7 Hemi Stall issue

I own a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi. I did see an old thread with the same issue as I have currently but the thread was older so I thought I would make a new thread. The truck starts great, idles great. But, when I get going and come to a red light or intersection where I need to stop, then the truck stalls. I have only had this truck for about 8 months. The stall issue started about 2 months ago. My son-in-law is a mech but he is up north working in the NorthWest Territories as an Ice Road Trucker and won't be back for 9 more weeks. I have replaced the Mass Air Sensor and had all the fluids changed recently. A suggestion on the other thread with this issue was to thoroughly clean the Throttle Body. I can't clean the Throttle Body myself because I don't have the mechanical knowledge for that. If I were to take it to a shop, what would I be looking at for Book Time to clean it up? I can't afford much as I'm not working currently so hope it would not be too much. Any other suggestions regarding what else to do?
Patty
Lethbridge, Alberta

Old 02-05-2019, 07:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Hour, to an hour and a half at whatever local labor rates are would be my guess. No more than two, I should think.

Welcome to DF!

Old 02-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a really easy job. Any one with minimal skills can do it. I do it to my truck on a regular basis and it takes me 15 minutes if I take my time. Basically, one electrical connection and two hose clamps to get access. Then use cleaner spray from the store for around $5 (will last for multiple cleanings), use a toothbrush and a rag and you are done. Any small shop should do it for less than $100.
I don't think that is your problem though. The cleaning of the throttle body is for when it wont idle right. You say your truck idles fine so it's something else.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:32 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

One way to see if it's throttle body related or the torque converter is to duplicate the problem consistently. Then when you can make it happen, come to a stop and as you slow down, put the trans in neutral. If it doesn't stall, then it's pointing to the torque converter. If it continues to stall, then keep looking.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:23 PM
PattyGene

Yes, it idles perfectly. I can start it up and let the dang thing idle in front of my house for a half hour and no issues. But, as soon as I come to the first red light and need to stop then it stalls. Or, for example, I can pull into a parking spot and it stalls. Any other ideas what it could be?

Old 02-05-2019, 11:25 PM
PattyGene

Pedro Dog - I can easily make it stall - any time I come to a stop pretty well. I will try your suggestion tomorrow when I leave for my errands.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:28 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Will it stall in reverse too, such as when backing out of a parking space or driveway? My wife's car did this on several occasions - stalled after backing out of our driveway just as she came to a stop to shift to drive. It would only do this when the vehicle was cold, and only for the first stop. Then one day I noticed it seemed to be a bit labored starting the engine. I replaced the battery and the stalling went away as well. I suspect that starting the cold engine sucked the battery down to the point where, once the brake pedal was applied, it no longer had enough current to keep the engine and electronics functioning properly. I can't explain why it would always restart and be fine to shift in to Drive after the restart, but the stalling that was consistent for about two weeks never happened again after the battery was replaced.

-Rod

Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by PattyGene
Pedro Dog - I can easily make it stall - any time I come to a stop pretty well. I will try your suggestion tomorrow when I leave for my errands.
so, any news?

Old 02-12-2019, 09:12 PM
PattyGene

No news yet Pedro Dog. I have been ill with some stomach virus. I won't be able to check things out for another few days yet.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by PattyGene
No news yet Pedro Dog. I have been ill with some stomach virus. I won't be able to check things out for another few days yet.
Hope ya feel better soon.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ram 5.7 Hemi Stall issue