4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Nerf bar support

Old 03-10-2019, 12:13 PM
eaglegolfj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nerf bar support

The title was supposed to be Nerf Bar Support. I have a 2012 Ram 1500. The nerf bar on the drivers side has started to rattle pretty good during rough roads. Got under the truck to tighten the support bolts and they were all tight. Move ahead 3months. We have the tech look at it at the shop when in was in for an oil change and he stated there was nothing they could do. So my wife asked the service lady what we could do to fix it and she said remove it. So yesterday I got under the truck to see what the problem was.
so after s short inspection I found the cage nuts that hold the support bolts are ripping out the body under the truck. Has anybody else had an issue like this. Looks like a pretty **** POOR design if you ask me.
I will try to get some pics up shortly.

Last edited by eaglegolfj; 03-10-2019 at 12:19 PM. Reason: title
Old 03-10-2019, 02:21 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

if the nuts weren't expanded enough...push them back in and install the tool and expand them....or replace them

if the bore the nut fits in is damaged...weld the bar to the truck. make the welds accessible if you need to grind them off at a later date.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:26 PM
eaglegolfj

Where the nuts go in the metal on the truck body the steel is ripping out the nuts will not go back in. I don't think welding the bars under there is practical. I'm kinda thinking this is a engineering problem and dodge should fix this issue.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:52 PM
primem
Record Breaker

I thought you wanted a fix. aftermarket step bars that bolt into the body mounts are the other option...most are a pita to install compared to the factory bars.

I seen oem bars rip out but the step bar was hit. never seen them fall out on there own.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:18 PM
eaglegolfj

This is from the center support. The metal is just ripping out.
Originally Posted by eaglegolfj
The title was supposed to be Nerf Bar Support. I have a 2012 Ram 1500. The nerf bar on the drivers side has started to rattle pretty good during rough roads. Got under the truck to tighten the support bolts and they were all tight. Move ahead 3months. We have the tech look at it at the shop when in was in for an oil change and he stated there was nothing they could do. So my wife asked the service lady what we could do to fix it and she said remove it. So yesterday I got under the truck to see what the problem was.
so after s short inspection I found the cage nuts that hold the support bolts are ripping out the body under the truck. Has anybody else had an issue like this. Looks like a pretty **** POOR design if you ask me.
I will try to get some pics up shortly.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:21 PM
eaglegolfj

Originally Posted by primem
I thought you wanted a fix. aftermarket step bars that bolt into the body mounts are the other option...most are a pita to install compared to the factory bars.

I seen oem bars rip out but the step bar was hit. never seen them fall out on there own.

they have not been hit by anything just weak aluminum I think.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:37 PM
primem
Record Breaker

they have changed the design. at each step bracket.. have 2 supports bolts at the pinch weld that take the downward weight. the one screw-cert that is designed to expand into the rocker panel just holds the set bar from flexing out.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:08 AM
Joshua Driskell

Any update, did you come up with a fix or just end up taking the steps off?

Old 04-22-2019, 12:48 PM
primem
Record Breaker

the options would be weld in a bracket or buy aftermarket step bars that bolt to the body mounts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nerf bar support