4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED taillight change I get error on dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 11:59 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LED taillight change I get error on dash

I cracked a taillight lens on my 2014 Big Horn 1500 RAM, so rather then a junkyard or new $157 unit I bought online a pair for $110, with LED taillights and using stock backup light.
Now I get a "Parking light out" error flashing on the dash whenever the lights are on. E-Bay dealer says to disconnect battery to "relearn"... I said NO-WAY.

ONLINE I find a computer update "sales code" for 2015 and up that eliminates this error. My dealer said he would look at my 2014 RAM to see if he can apply that code, and only charge me $105 if he can help me.

ONLINE FIX

Has anyone else run into this and have any encouraging thoughts for me?

Last edited by rsdata; 04-28-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:38 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you review Method B in the document you linked to? That seems like a nice option for your situation. Otherwise you could try adding high wattage 5 ohm resistors in parallel with your LED lights but those resistors dissipate a lot of heat and sound unnecessary considering Method B should be a rather elegant solution.

-Rod

Old 04-29-2019, 09:40 AM
rsdata
Captain

Thx Rod...

I thought about it. IS there anywhere online that I can find that will show where Location H is?

"As in previous years, circuit L950 is a blunt cut LG/WT wire that can be grounded to disable rear bulb out detection. This circuit, along with several others, is found in location H which is underneath the power distribution center (PDC) next to the driver’s side fender."

The LED lights came with a hi-powered resistor already hooked up... this is why I wonder why I still get an error...

Old 04-29-2019, 12:30 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

Since you're getting an error for the parking lamp circuit and not the turn signal/brake lamp circuit I'm betting the high power resistor is only installed on the line for the wire for the brake/turn signal filament.

I'm not sure on the location, but based on the information you provided I'd look for a light green wire with a white tracer that is not connected to anything on the driver side underneath the power distribution center/fuse/relay box. The box that the positive battery cable connects to. My Ram is a Laramie Limited with factory LED lights so I cannot really use it as a reference.

-Rod

Old 04-29-2019, 03:57 PM
rsdata
Captain

I put the left side taillight lamp lens on now also, and I find that the error msg and a dash ding comes on with lights ON and brake stepped on. IN the daylight, with no lights on, and brake stepped on I get NO error msg.

Do you think there should be TWO 50W 12.6 ohm resistors on each side connected?

I looked under the PDC... the wiring harnesses are tightly packed and wrapped. The only color coded wires I could see were the wires that went to the bottom of the fuse box after they left the wrap. It did not appear there were any loose wires laying around.

Last edited by rsdata; 04-29-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:51 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

While I suspect adding a resistor to the parking light circuit would solve the indication in the dash, I don't think that's a good "fix" because when your lights are on each resistor on the parking light circuit will be dissipating a continuous 15 watts approximately. That's a lot of heat that could eventually melt some wiring or plastic unless the resistors are attached to the truck body.

Hopefully someone else on this forum will chime in with the location for the light green/white wire.

-Rod

Old 05-01-2019, 06:59 PM
rsdata
Captain

thx SHO Rod

Old 05-04-2019, 10:51 AM
rsdata
Captain
Default Update

after driving around for several days with the error msg on the dash... all of a sudden the dash NO LONGER displays the error when I hit the brakes with my lights on in the evening. I cannot do anything to get the error msg to return, not that I want it to do that...

Everything now seems normal,

Old 05-05-2019, 08:08 AM
SHO Rod
All Star

Hopefully it remains that way for you. Very interesting.

-Rod

Quick Reply: LED taillight change I get error on dash