4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

09 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7l Hemi - Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 01:41 PM
Adam Addlestone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7l Hemi - Wont Start

Hey Guys!

I have a 2009 Ram 1500 with the 5.7l motor. It won’t start. Before it died the alternator was overheating and whining. I’ve since replaced the alternator and recharged the battery. I’ve also tried bypassing the battery and jumping it from another vehicle. It still won’t start. I hear a single click from the fuse panel when I try to start it (which is one of the relays I am guessing). I’ve checked the fuses and I don’t see any blown.

Tried hitting the starter but it doesn't make any noise or clicking when you try to start it.

The CEL is on, I have read the codes and am getting P0688 and others related to low voltage.

All of the electronics on the truck work after re-charging the battery, lights, radio, alarm, locks, etc. It doesn't show any signs of being weak. The battery had died though as a result of it not getting charged from the alternator - So perhaps it killed the battery. It's only 2 years old though as I had to replace it before.

To me it seems like theres some sort of kill switch thats preventing it from even trying to start up.

I’m stumped. What should I check next? I appreciate any suggestions!

Old 10-18-2019, 04:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,244 Likes on 2,993 Posts

Wasn't there a recall on alternators on those trucks???

Grab a friend, test for power at the solenoid when your friend turns the key to start.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:11 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Go back and check your fuses very closely. I recently missed one that appeared to be ok. Ohm meter confirmed it was open. i believe the start relay will still activate with a blown start fuse. The start fuse is one of the larger fuses about 40 amp I believe.
Please post your findings and fix.

Last edited by TrueDogman; 10-19-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 09 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7l Hemi - Wont Start