4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark Plug Change/ Coil Boot Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 01:48 PM
rolltide1115
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Change/ Coil Boot Issues

Went to change the plugs out on my 2013 4.7 yesterday with ~ 118k miles on it. From the looks of the plugs coming out and that they they are what Ram puts in from the factory I'm assuming these may be the original plugs. Lower bank no issues getting wires loose and plugs changed. The upper bank is another story. 2 of the 3 that I pulled ht boots tore off in the head and were stuck to the plug. So I ended up having to figure out a way to get them and the plugs out. Not to mention replace the 2 ignition coils ~24.00 a piece) since the replacement boots (~9.00 a piece) are not readily available around here.

So before I give the remaining 5 a try and risk the same outcome with some of them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to get the coils out intact.?

If by chance the boots do tear off any suggestions on getting them out other than spending a good bit of time and energy digging the seized boot out piece by piece with needle nose pliers?

Old 02-24-2020, 07:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Can you twist the coils before pulling them up? That will sometimes convince the boots to let go.......

Old 02-25-2020, 06:54 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rolltide1115
Went to change the plugs out on my 2013 4.7 yesterday with ~ 118k miles on it. From the looks of the plugs coming out and that they they are what Ram puts in from the factory I'm assuming these may be the original plugs. Lower bank no issues getting wires loose and plugs changed. The upper bank is another story. 2 of the 3 that I pulled ht boots tore off in the head and were stuck to the plug. So I ended up having to figure out a way to get them and the plugs out. Not to mention replace the 2 ignition coils ~24.00 a piece) since the replacement boots (~9.00 a piece) are not readily available around here.

So before I give the remaining 5 a try and risk the same outcome with some of them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to get the coils out intact.?

If by chance the boots do tear off any suggestions on getting them out other than spending a good bit of time and energy digging the seized boot out piece by piece with needle nose pliers?

ran into this same problem on my dads dakota with the 4.7, once the boot tears stick a long screw driver down the center (between the ceramic insulator and the boot) give a quick smack side to side to break the ceramin, then pull it out still stuck to the screw driver, we had 5 of 8 tear iirc. Keep your shop vac handy to suck out any broken pieces so they dont fall into the cylinder (we didnt have any pieces big enough to visually see, but better safe than sorry)

also go to rockauto and buy a set of 8 boots (just the boots) and have them ready to go, when the new boots get in take the new coils you bought and return them, the boots are like $8/each IIRC.

unfortunately we had no luck figuring out how to get the boots off intact, this was our best option.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Change/ Coil Boot Issues