4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel tank capacity

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021 | 06:29 AM
Pirata
|
Champion
From: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning

Alright so I am back to square one. 2 or 3 straps is not the telltale. Is there a MFR mark of some sort on the tank itself that shows for sure whether it's a 26 or 32 gallon tank? I thought the strap issue was good but it appears it is not accurate.

Old 01-13-2021 | 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Should be a part number cast or stamped into it somewhere. Probably somewhere you can't see it, unless you pull the bed.

The following 2 users liked this post by HeyYou:
jkeaton (01-13-2021), Pirata (01-14-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 10:49 AM
Pirata
|
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Should be a part number cast or stamped into it somewhere. Probably somewhere you can't see it, unless you pull the bed.
Clearly it would be easy to check by pulling the bed....

Old 01-13-2021 | 06:27 PM
outlawstorm
Rookie

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windo...kerPdf.do?vin=

put your vin number at the end,,, as the bigger tank was an option and it will show on the window sticker ,,, it will be near the bottom of the options

The following users liked this post:
Pirata (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021 | 07:37 AM
Pirata
|
Champion

Originally Posted by outlawstorm
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windo...kerPdf.do?vin=

put your vin number at the end,,, as the bigger tank was an option and it will show on the window sticker ,,, it will be near the bottom of the options
Yes, 26 gallons. Crappy calibration on the gas pump. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2021 | 04:27 PM
Pirata
|
Champion

Just filled up. Fuel light was on and it said 30 miles until empty. The fuel light was on and I put 27.7 before the pump shut off. It looks like it's about a 29 or 30 gallon actual capacity. This is going to help for my new daily commute.

Old 02-09-2021 | 01:23 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

i have a 17 with the '32 gallon' tank, i have driven 75 miles with the light on before i stopped for gas and still only managed to get 29 gallons into it. i dont think the actual tank capacity is going to be much less than 32 gallons, but the real issue here is the fuel gauge resolution/accuracy.

try this, drive your truck for an hour (give or take) and park, before shutting off the engine take note of where the fuel gauge is reading. Shut the truck off (all the way off, remove the key). When you get back in take note of where the fuel gauge sits, in most cases its going to be sitting lower than it was when you parked. You still have the same amount of fuel left, the gauge just didnt come all the way back up to where it was. I dont think (i cant prove it) that the gauge ever catchs back up to where it was after you shut it off (unless you stop and fill the tank) so you loose a little bit of percieved range. Noone cares to fix this because it wont cause you to be stranded with an empty tank, its only an inconvenience to those of us who drive long distances and want to maximize time between fillups.

note i feel that the gauges are more accurate on long trips where you dont stop and start than they are for daily driving.

also, all 3 of our cars fuel gauges behave the same way, it has to be something with the way they move the needle or the programming, but im not a software guy so i cant tell ya for sure.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank capacity