4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overhead Console: what to tap for key-on power

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 05:48 PM
davepen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overhead Console: what to tap for key-on power

I want to hard-wire my GPS power cable to my overhead console. What wire(s) should I tap into to do this? I already have the GPS wiring harness.

2010 RAM 2500 CTD

Thanks!

Last edited by davepen; 04-01-2024 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-01-2024, 07:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Should be able to find wiring diagrams here. have a look, go from there. Welcome to DF!

Old 07-02-2024, 12:04 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Should be able to find wiring diagrams here. have a look, go from there. Welcome to DF!
Man i love your brains. I also love when the search function is used and works

I'm looking for a 12 volt power tap in the overhead console that I can feed out with the power mirror loom. I wish the drawings on Holhosniki's site were more like the FSM though. I'd love to be able to pop the overhead down and instantly know which 2 wires I need for power/ground.

Old 07-02-2024, 07:53 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

What year and model is your truck? I've found the diagrams on Kolhosniki's site to be pretty intuitive. Maybe that's because they are pretty similar to Ford FSM diagrams which I have spent a lot of years getting to know.

-Rod

Old 07-02-2024, 10:17 PM
magnethead
Legend

2011 R1500.

The 4 Wiring Diagrams > System Wiring Diagrams > Power Distibution electrical diagram pages on his site (figs 48, 49, 50, 51), none of the 4 list the overhead display module. The most I can deduce is wire colors and affiliated roles.

Pink/Yellow - Run ( + Accessory for limited circuits)
Pink/Light Green - Run + Start (which feeds the inside dimming mirror and might be my best shot for a 12 volt signal up top)
Red/Anything - constant power

I did look under power windows, looks like the power slider switch has a Pink/Yellow just like the mirror. The difference is the Pink/Light Green is instant-off with key, Pink/Yellow is on the time-delay circuit. Looks like Black/Dark Green is a common ground color.

Guess I shall go diving in the roof console to see what I find. Hoping something has enough slack that I can de-pin, splice, heatshrink, and re-pin successfully.

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, you're right. While there are several useful wiring diagrams available there for your truck, none that make it clear what wires do what in the overhead console. You might want to check out Figure 54 for the auto dimming rearview mirror. It at least has an ignition-switched power source fed off a 20 amp circuit. Although if your truck doesn't have the auto-dimming mirror, I don't know if that harness will be tucked up in the headliner or not....

-Rod

Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM
magnethead
Legend

I pulled the overhead console down.

There's a white 3-pin connector for the reading lights, a 2-wire molded plastic visual LED, a red 5-pin connector for the power sliding window, a black 3-pin for whatever is in front of the power slider switch (I always thought it was a light but now i'm not so sure), and a black 5-pin connector for the garage door opener.

I focused on the red 5-pin for the power slider. It has a pink/yellow for power, a black/blue for ground, and three orange wires for window signal (green, purple, and gray stripes).

The pigtail isn't super long. I'm also not 100% sure how to de-pin it. But if I can get it de-pinned, I'm 100% sure I can tap power and ground for my desired use.

Quick Reply: Overhead Console: what to tap for key-on power