4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fox Coilovers Installed start of Dodge Ramter (Raptor) Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:55 AM
jball
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox Coilovers Installed start of Dodge Ramter (Raptor) Conversion

I got these a while ago, and am finally getting around to writing about them. I had to get special ends machined to thread onto the end of the coilover. They are the correct length to allow the front to droop out to where the CV's almost bind. The upper balljoint is not an issue, because it is not machined at the same angle as the factory knuckle. I made the lower clevis and the upper bracket. The coils are Hyper Coils (650-700 lb/in somewhere in that range), there is about 1 inch of preload on the coils. I dont know what the specific valve code is for these, I think they just cross referenced some of their other applications and used something similar.

Like the aftermarket Bilstein struts, these increase the wheel travel. I cycled the suspension without the coil on the body and nothing binds up. I get about an extra inch of droop and inch of compression.

Factory struts:
Name:  DSC01500.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  108.6 KB
The Fox coilovers come with short ends, you have to heat them up to break the red loc-tite death grip in order to unthread them.
Name:  DSCF5691.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  55.6 KB
I should have taken more pictures of the individual pieces, but I really couldn't wait and wanted them on there really bad. I'm impatient.
Name:  DSC01525.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  77.4 KB

This is the start of my Dodge Ramter (Raptor) conversion. I have a bunch of other stuff I'd like to do, I just need time - and money.

Such as:
Step 2: Spec out the half shaft center section and order custom +2" width axles for the front, new fabbed upper and lower a-arms with 88-98 chevy 1500 ball joints. The upper ball joints have 45 degrees of motion EACH WAY, they have tons more articulation than our upper ball joints do. The taper is different, but I have access to a chevy tapered reamer to correct the knuckle tapers. The ball joints are bolt on style so I dont have to use COM bearings. Glassworks unlimited makes front fenders, not sure if I'm going to go that route or get some bushwhacker fender flares. I have to get some prices on getting the half shafts made. This is what the inside of your CV's look like - incase anyone wondered.
Name:  DSC01834.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  76.9 KB

Old 01-12-2010, 03:29 PM
jball
Professional

This is how you take your inner CV apart - incase anyone ever needs to. There is a Circlip you have to expand in order to get the shaft from the inner CV.
Name:  DSC01839.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  85.1 KB
Name:  DSC01840.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  77.8 KB

Then I thought I was going to get lucky. I measured a 07 Chevy half shaft and the center section was 2 inches longer. I got the files from SEMA, but the Chevy half shaft diameter is 0.100" smaller. That would have been awesome, because it would have saved a lot of time.
Name:  gm07halfshaft.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  13.7 KB

Old 01-14-2010, 08:25 PM
nmram09

hey jball pretty bad a$$ man what model of shocks are those and did they lift it any i got the bilsteins know and really like them but if i can up grade them i would love to u might have already seen these but bms blitzkrieg motorsports makes a upper arm and there sick i got them on mine and its a whole new animal in the dirt soaks up anything another route ypu can consider if you dint want to wide the track width is kore offrad makes half shafts that hold up to the abbuse but wont widen anything and gives the truck something like 13 inches or so of usable wheel travel

Old 01-14-2010, 08:58 PM
MMMMRice
Veteran

Where did you get the bms uca's? I cant find them anywhere.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM
jball
Professional

Originally Posted by nmram09
hey jball pretty bad a$$ man what model of shocks are those and did they lift it any i got the bilsteins know and really like them but if i can up grade them i would love to u might have already seen these but bms blitzkrieg motorsports makes a upper arm and there sick i got them on mine and its a whole new animal in the dirt soaks up anything another route ypu can consider if you dint want to wide the track width is kore offrad makes half shafts that hold up to the abbuse but wont widen anything and gives the truck something like 13 inches or so of usable wheel travel
The Fox part # is: 980-02-247-A which is a 24-1/2" extended 17-1/2" collapsed. I had to make a new lower mount (adds 2-1/2") - and the upper mount (Fox does not offer either - you are own your own). I have on a lift kit, and that's the only way you can make these fit. It wouldn't be possible to put them on a 0" - 3" truck, because these are the shortest ones they make, and they barely fit with the lower control arms moved down with the lift kit. If you stepped down to a 2" diameter body there would be one with the correct length available... but you'd have to get stuff machined.

The Kore and BMS stuff is real nice, but I can't make billet arms like theirs (no access CNC mills)... I have access to tubing benders, flared hole dies, and CNC lasers - so I can fab my own up. If the half shaft stuff falls thru, I'll have to keep the stock track width and see about upgrading to their CV's.

Originally Posted by MMMMRice
Where did you get the bms uca's? I cant find them anywhere.
They are still the factory upper arms. I'm going to wait to get started on arms until I can get the half shafts made by someone... That's the only thing I can't do myself. I've got that old CV shaft so I can get one made. And if I can't figure out something as far as the half shaft goes I'll just keep it stock width. I got something figured out for the upper ball joint as far as a direct replacement..... I think / hope

And who keeps leaving a tiny bit of coffee in the coffee pot?!?!? GRRRRRR!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Warwagon

I use these guys for my Subaru Race/Street car, after snapping 7 half shafts in one season I deceided to give them a try. 700+HP and they've lasted 2 seasons so far, launching the car at 7,000rpms on 4 slicks LOL.
My car makes 580WHP and weights 3200lbs, they rate the axles I'm using @ 800 WHP!

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/

I'm sure they could make some for you

Hope that helps you out!

Old 01-15-2010, 03:58 PM
rolltidehemi
Captain

I think you should finish the R&D and put a kit together for sale, I am sure many would buy! Sounds/Looks awesome.

Quick Reply: Fox Coilovers Installed start of Dodge Ramter (Raptor) Conversion