5th Gen Ram Tech 2019+ Ram Trucks: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2019 Ram 1500.. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote start help!

Old 02-24-2018, 03:41 PM
Brhearn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start help!

Sorry if I’m long winded, but the story needs told to answer my question. I recently purchased a new 2018 Durango, less than a month ago. Part of the deal was to have a remote start installed. We had the vehicle for a couple days and sent it in to have it done. When we picked it up the next day, the salesman showed us how to operate the remote start by pushing the lock button 3 times. I assumed I would have a factory remote start installed, but it was an aftermarket one, which apparently is common. Problem is, no matter what setting I tried on the vehicle, it would honk 4 times during remote start, one for each push of the lock and a final one when it started. The service manager told me that a factory remot start could not be ordered, as they were not available. Then things started to act strange. Several indicator lights were on all the time, the touchscreen would shut off and go back on by itself while driving, and when the vehicle was off and in the garage, lights and displays would be in inside telling me to push the start button to start vehicle. I dismissed this, thinking I may have had a fob on me and ignored it. A week later, the vehicle would not start. The dealership called roadside assistance and towed it to their shop (in which the tow truck driver damaged the bumper in the process, but that is another story). The remot start was disconnected and everything was fine and I was waiting on parts to fix it. Also, battery was dead. At that same time, th same service manager who told me the factory remote start wasn’t available, altered his story somewhat and said my computer or module or whatever was not COMPATIBLE with a factory remote start. A week later, after the third party installer “fixed” the remote start and very thing seemed fine until the next day, all the symptoms came back. Another trip to the dealer and it is now disconnect again. Now to my question. The obvious question is if anyone else has had this issue, and can someone help me weed through the “bs” about an unavailable factory remote start, or am I just stuck with an aftermarket?

Old 02-25-2018, 09:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Think I would have a chat with another dealer about the factory remote start....... Either that, or call dodge directly (corporate customer service, not the dealer) See what they have to say.

Welcome to DF!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote start help!