5th Gen Ram Tech 2019+ Ram Trucks: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2019 Ram 1500.. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.7 Hemi questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 07:40 AM
nyrainman
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 5.7 Hemi questions

2019 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi

So after a week or so after I got this truck back in August I noticed that the idle was rough and there was hesitation from a standing position. The idle varied about 125 rpm or more, which is way to much. Other Ram trucks I've had, the rpm only varied about 25 rpm.

I took the truck to the dealer where I purchased it and they spent 2 hours trying to see what the problem was, but because there were no CEL issues, they recommended going directly to a Dodge dealership, which I did. The Dodge dealership noticed the same problems but said it was probably the characteristics of the truck, since there were no CEL issues. They did say there was a computer update, which they applied and said it would probably resolve the these problems.

Well, I still have the rough idle, but the update did resolve the hesitation. only to cause another problem. Now it seems that when the truck comes out of the ECO mode, or even if I'm just stepping on the gas pedal to maintain speed, I hear and feel a rumbling noise from the engine, like it's struggling to make the transition.. The truck has plenty of power if I get down on it, but the rumble is driving me crazy. I haven't contacted them back yet because I don't want to hear that it is normal. I HATE this computer garbage and am old school. I like diving under the hood, seeing an engine instead of plastic covering everything and it's so annoying, but finding a good used truck is next to impossible by me.

In any case, has anyone else had idle, hesitation, rumble noises, or any other similar issues with their 5.7 Hemi?

Old 12-02-2021, 11:14 AM
D-train
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it seems like we are living in a world of if "there no CEL on, everything is acceptable". And these "techs" don't, or can't do much manual diagnostics. Something like you're describing could be something as simple as a misfit ignition wire. But if the number of misfires are within the tolerance that is set into the computer system (like 100 out of 10,000 cycles) it won't set a code. ...but it could still have a noticeable effect. could be a lose or cracked vacuum line also.

So if it is noticeable/bad enough that you feel that it isn't acceptable, you just need to take it back and tell them to figure it out. (I assume that it's under warranty) You could get under the hood and just start wiggling stuff and listen for a difference in idle. It wouldn't be the first time that someone figured something out that way.

How many miles are on the truck?

Old 12-02-2021, 12:47 PM
nyrainman
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by D-train
Yes, it seems like we are living in a world of if "there no CEL on, everything is acceptable". And these "techs" don't, or can't do much manual diagnostics. Something like you're describing could be something as simple as a misfit ignition wire. But if the number of misfires are within the tolerance that is set into the computer system (like 100 out of 10,000 cycles) it won't set a code. ...but it could still have a noticeable effect. could be a lose or cracked vacuum line also.

So if it is noticeable/bad enough that you feel that it isn't acceptable, you just need to take it back and tell them to figure it out. (I assume that it's under warranty) You could get under the hood and just start wiggling stuff and listen for a difference in idle. It wouldn't be the first time that someone figured something out that way.

How many miles are on the truck?
There is just under 50k miles on the truck.

I spoke to the Dodge dealership I went to again yesterday and now they are telling me they are aware of this problem on older truck, but not the newer ones. And on the older trucks there was a computer update that fixed the problem. They also said that there isn't any bulletin showing this problem on my truck, but he recommended I bring the truck in and they will put it on the scanner/computer and see if my truck shows any specific messages.

As far as the warranty goes, I only have the drive train covered up to 60k miles.

I totally agree with you in that the techs either don't care or can do any type of manual diagnostics. For example, I took it to the dealership where I purchased the truck for my first complimentary oil change and I told them the dipstick to the coolant had brown sludge on it. I cleaned it off about three weeks ago and it's back. Their response was that because the coolant had a reddish tint to it, that was probably the cause of the brown sludge. I told them I wasn't complaining about the color, I was concerned that there was a sludge on the dipstick, which is not normal. They came back with, "there's nothing wrong with the truck at the moment" - SERIOUSLY???

When I called the Dodge dealership to talk about the vibration/rumble situation, they said that the previous owner probably mixed two kinds of coolants in topping it off and the coolants were not compatible, which they've seen happen before and recommended a flush to the system. At least that made a little more sense to me other then "nothing is wrong",

In either case, I'll update next week with the results.

Quick Reply: 5.7 Hemi questions