5th Gen Ram Tech 2019+ Ram Trucks: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2019 Ram 1500.. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help on deciding on Factory Options for a new truck.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 11:22 PM
Maki
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on deciding on Factory Options for a new truck.

I'm planning on purchasing a brand new dually 3500 this summer that's going to be a workhorse for the future. Mainly as a trailer hauler for race vehicles and horse trailers. I also would like to run a snowplow setup on it. Is there a particular trim that I should be looking at? All the technical stuff on the Ram site is honestly confusing to me.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Do you have a cab configuration/bed length preference? How many folks do you wanna be able to stuff in there, while hauling stuff around?

Old 01-29-2022, 04:14 PM
Maki
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had planned on at least the crew cab as plans for kids/pets in the future. The wife said there's no point in not having an 8ft bed for hauling lumber (planning on doing homesteading/ranching), so that at least narrows it off the standard cab models.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Don't know if this will actually link to the one I built.... Have a look, see what ya think. Not an inexpensive truck.

Edit: Nope. Didn't work.

Go thru the options, and pick what ya like. Anything that improves payload/utility is what you want.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:10 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Maki
I had planned on at least the crew cab as plans for kids/pets in the future. The wife said there's no point in not having an 8ft bed for hauling lumber (planning on doing homesteading/ranching), so that at least narrows it off the standard cab models.

I'd spring for the Diesel to get maximum towing. They hold their value better and last longer. As for fuel cost, that's a wash. Diesel is more expensive but you get more MPG. I had a Ford with the 7.3DI Powerstroke and it got in the 20's running empty and 18 pulling a loaded trailer.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I'd spring for the Diesel to get maximum towing. They hold their value better and last longer. As for fuel cost, that's a wash. Diesel is more expensive but you get more MPG. I had a Ford with the 7.3DI Powerstroke and it got in the 20's running empty and 18 pulling a loaded trailer.
Yeah, but now, with the diesel, you also have to pay for DEF, and replacing the particulate filter is painfully expensive...... Granted, you get a good boost in tow rating..... and the diesel is a 9 to 12K option. I can buy a LOT of gas for 9 grand.

Quick Reply: Need help on deciding on Factory Options for a new truck.